Letter to the Editor: 2/2

By Pitt News Staff

Dear Editor, ‘ ‘ ‘ I would like to comment on Pitt’s weather response last Wednesday,… Dear Editor, ‘ ‘ ‘ I would like to comment on Pitt’s weather response last Wednesday, partially in regard to the letter to the editor from Facilities Management on Thursday, Jan. 29. ‘ ‘ ‘ If Facilities Management’s ‘main objective is always the safety and convenience of the entire Pitt community,’ it would only make sense for them to call the higher-ups at the University and say, ‘Listen, it’s not going to be safe out there today.’ If universities down the street were closing up shop ‘mdash; campuses with much less ground to cover, for that matter ‘mdash; what was Pitt’s reasoning for deeming our campus acceptable for classes? ‘ ‘ ‘ Please understand that I’m not the typical slacker student ‘mdash; I’m not paying for snow days ‘mdash; but there are certain instances when a university has to consider the safety of the community. I know commuters who almost got into several car accidents on Wednesday, some of whom barely made it to campus because their vehicles couldn’t make it up the necessary hills. ‘ ‘ ‘ Isn’t that a fairly good indication that we shouldn’t have classes that day? Carl H. Malm School of Arts ‘amp; Sciences