Letter to the Editor 2/5

By Pitt News Staff

To the Editor, ‘ ‘ ‘ I thought I should respond to the Feb. 4 editorial, ‘Proposed writing… To the Editor, ‘ ‘ ‘ I thought I should respond to the Feb. 4 editorial, ‘Proposed writing track merger shows lack of faith in journalism.’ The English department has been offering courses in journalism since the 1940s. We have consistently promoted and valued the work of those who study, seek and write the news. And I think it is safe to say that we have done more in support of journalism and journalists in the last 10 years than at any other point in our history. ‘ ‘ ‘ We have expanded the range of courses, provided increased internship opportunities with major U.S. newspapers and news outlets, won grant support for students with unpaid internships and provided regular occasions for our students to meet, hear and be in conversation with leading writers, reporters and editors. As a department, we have no intention of losing this momentum. ‘ ‘ ‘ Departments routinely review and revise curricula. We do this to remain alert and alive, to make the best use of faculty strengths and interests and to be responsive to changes in the field and in the world. Whatever changes we make to the curriculum, The Pitt News and the student body can rest assured that we have not lost faith and that we intend to support the study and practice of journalism on this campus. David Bartholomae Professor and Chair, Department of English