Pitt bounces back with EAGL win

By Laura Veith

‘ ‘ ‘ A crowd filled with black and gold cheered Pitt’s blue and gold to a gymnastics win… ‘ ‘ ‘ A crowd filled with black and gold cheered Pitt’s blue and gold to a gymnastics win against North Carolina State on Sunday. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ The Panthers came from behind in the final rotation to defeat NC State 195.300-194.450 at the Fitzgerald Field House. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘This was a well-deserved win,’ said Pitt coach Debbie Yohman after the meet. ‘This is what we’ve been working on all season.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ The Panthers started out with a small lead after the first rotation, only to fall behind by a marginal 0.6 points going into the third rotation. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘I knew we were down,’ said Pitt senior Anya Chayka, ‘but you try not to let it affect you.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Posting a career-high 9.900 on the beam, Chayka helped close the gap and set her team up for its first EAGL conference win. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ After last weeks close loss to rival West Virginia, the Panthers hit the gym focusing on high-pressure situations, said Yohman. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ In the loss, the beam proved to be the toughest challenge for the gymnasts, and Sunday’s meet displayed the week’s hard work. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘Last week, the girls were too nervous,’ said Yohman. ‘And you can’t do good gymnastics carefully.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ The Panther’s seem to have shaken any early season nerves and replaced them with much needed confidence. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘We always know we can do well during practice, but we had to focus on bringing it to the meet, said Chayka. ‘And today we brought it.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Earlier this week, senior Dani Bryan was named EAGL Specialist of the Week, and freshman Alicia Talucci was honored as Rookie of the Week. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Pitt’s win improved them to 3-3, 1-2 in the EAGL. The Panthers will next travel to Rutgers on Saturday.