Howard: Taxes should apply to churches

By Giles Howard

The public face of organized religion in this country over the past few decades has been one of… The public face of organized religion in this country over the past few decades has been one of crass power grabs and political posturing. Religious institutions like the Westboro Baptist Church have publicly campaigned for or against specific political candidates, have vocally opposed equal rights for gays and have sought to deny women access to safe abortions. ‘ ‘ ‘ Furthermore, they have done all of this as tax-exempt organizations. The government does not tax the billions it receives in donations, and neither does it tax the land its churches, mosques and synagogues are situated on, even as they actively subvert government policies. ‘ ‘ ‘ It’s time to force religious institutions to make a choice: continue to act as political agents and lose their tax-exempt status or retreat from political life and remain tax-exempt organizations. ‘ ‘ ‘ At no time has the importance of this isasue been clearer to me than over the past few weeks, when religious organizations have viciously campaigned against the Allegheny County anti-discrimination ordinance. ‘ ‘ ‘ Some of the most vocal opponents of the ordinance are ministers and priests, individuals representing tax-exempt institutions that legally cannot participate in political campaigns or attempt to influence legislation. ‘ ‘ ‘ I would like nothing more than to see local churches stripped of their tax-exempt status for the role they are playing in local politics. If it were any other type of organization, steps would already have been taken to hold them accountable for their violation of the law. ‘ ‘ ‘ However, this is an issue with far greater repercussions than simply the fate of a local ordinance, and for this reason, the tax-exempt status of religious institutions must be discussed on a broader level. ‘ ‘ ‘ It is important to recognize that the government exempts certain organizations and institutions from taxes because it believes they have an important, positive role to play in society. For this reason, cultural institutions such as museums and libraries are exempt from taxes. ‘ ‘ ‘ But does the existence of functioning organized religion benefit the nation-state? ‘ ‘ ‘ A museum is tax-exempt because it teaches people about the physical world, houses the great artistic accomplishments of man and explains to us our history. Religion distorts the world, prejudices its adherents against science and teaches mythology as literal history. ‘ ‘ ‘ A library is tax-exempt because it makes people more able citizens by teaching them to think critically and by exposing them to the great literature that has shaped our society. Conversely, religious institutions have banned and burned books throughout human history in an attempt to suppress critical thought. ‘ ‘ ‘ Institutions such as museums, libraries and universities are the foundation of republican government. Such places encourage independent critical thinking and make for better citizens. ‘ ‘ ‘ These institutions of culture and higher learning stand, and have always stood, in direct opposition to public religion, which seeks to create a static society of dogmatic followers. ‘ ‘ ‘ Of course, we must recognize that public religion has played a positive role in this country at certain points in our history. For instance, the role played by black churches in ending segregation and finally extending civil rights to the black community cannot and should not be ignored in a discussion about these topics. ‘ ‘ ‘ However, we must also recognize that those very black churches that were instrumental in the civil rights movement more than 50 years ago have turned against the civil rights movement of today. And the churches that served as beacons of liberty in the 1950s and ’60s are today the bastions of those who would deny gays the right to live free of discrimination and women the ability to control their bodies. ‘ ‘ ‘ It is time for this government to reexamine its relation with the religious in a way that will strip churches, mosques and synagogues of the economic advantages they currently enjoy. ‘ ‘ ‘ No longer should we be forced to bear the economic burden of organized religions that seek to restrict the liberty of the individual citizen. Let religious institutions enjoy their freedom of speech, but let them do it at their own expense, not the taxpayers’. E-mail Giles at [email protected].