Turnpike tolls rise, students change plans

By by Alex Russell

In an effort to generate funds, the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission increased toll fees by 25… In an effort to generate funds, the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission increased toll fees by 25 percent last Sunday, with an annual 3 percent increases expected after 2009. The most common, 75-cent tolls rose to 95 cents, and the $1 tolls rose to $1.25. Several college students, who often get by on the loose change hidden deep within the seats of their couches, said they’ll feel the effects of these increases. Senior Chase Fetters uses the turnpike to drive from his home in Lancaster, Pa., to Pitt’s campus. ‘It hurts travel,’ said Chase. ‘I will probably take the Pitt buses home more often now and return home less.’ Several students said they chose to return to Pitt last Saturday to avoid paying the extra toll fees. Others simply took a different route. But, for some students, the turnpike is the only option. ‘I don’t really have a choice,’ said sophomore Katie Boyle. ‘Being from Philly, I have to take the turnpike to get here.’ As the economy struggles, some agencies have questioned why these rate changes have come now. In June 2007, the Pennsylvania legislature passed Act 44 with the goal of converting Route 80 into a toll road. This would provide an inflation-sensitive funding stream to address Pennsylvania’s transportation funding crisis. The annual increase of 3 percent makes the toll fees inflation-sensitive. The Federal Highway Administration rejected Act 44, which the state expected to generate $946 million. The tolls will likely produce half of that. PennDOT press secretary Rich Kirkpatrick said the increased tolls pay for the bonds that have been issued to construct additional infrastructure, like highways and bridges. ‘The condition of some of the roads is terrible,’ said Kirkpatrick. ‘We need the extra revenue.’ Fetters said he hopes the extra $119 million in projected income from toll increases will improve the condition of Pennsylvania’s roads. ‘I always see them doing maintenance,’ he said, ‘but there never seems to be any improvements.’ There have only been six rates changed in the past 68 years.