Pitt surrounded by question marks in offseason

By Kyle Craig

The Pitt football program gained a lot of momentum and generated optimism during its most… The Pitt football program gained a lot of momentum and generated optimism during its most successful regular season since 1981. But some of those positive sentiments were negated by Pitt’s embarrassing offensive performance during its first bowl visit under coach Dave Wannstedt. Now, with the season completed, the Panthers have left their fans with a number of topics to chew on throughout the offseason. Here’s an abbreviated look at this past season and a short glimpse into the program’s future. Statistical Leaders Standout sophomore tailback LeSean McCoy led the Panthers in all rushing categories. McCoy finished with 21 touchdowns and 1,488 yards on the ground. Behind McCoy, senior LaRod Stephens-Howling rushed for 312 yards and five scores. Quarterback Bill Stull finished the year with 330 pass attempts. The redshirt junior accumulated 2,356 yards passing and ended with a completion percentage of 57. Stull reached the endzone through the air nine times and was picked off 10. Stull’s favorite receiver ‘- senior Derek Kinder ‘- led the Panthers in receptions with 36 for 422 yards. Kinder tied true freshman Jonathan Baldwin with three receiving touchdowns. For the second year in a row, middle linebacker Scott McKillop led the Panther defense in tackles, netting 137 total stops this year. Safety Dom DeCicco pulled in four interceptions, giving him more picks than anyone else on the Pitt roster. Conor Lee converted 20-of-24 field goal attempts and finished his career a perfect 113 for 113 in point-after-touchdowns. Senior Dave Brytus punted the ball 60 times for an average of 40.7 yards. Departures and Changes During a teleconference call earlier in the week, Wannstedt told reporters that he expects McCoy to skip the NFL Draft in April and return for his junior season. The issue, however, is not official. If he decides to, McCoy has until Jan. 15 to enter the Draft. Wannstedt endorsed often criticized offensive coordinator Matt Cavanaugh both as a play-caller and quarterback coach. He also noted that he would like his entire staff to return next year, unchanged. Quarterbacks Kevan Smith and Greg Cross are facing possible changes next year. The coaches are considering Smith at tight end and Cross at safety. Meanwhile, freshman defensive back Ronald Hobby was dismissed from the Panthers. He did not make the trip to the Sun Bowl. Injury Report Starting offensive tackle Jason Pinkston had an MRI earlier in the week to determine whether the shoulder injury he suffered prior to the Sun Bowl will require surgery. Nate Byham, Pitt’s starting tight end, has been slated to have shoulder surgery sometime this week and freshman cornerback Jarred Holley will undergo an arthroscopic knee procedure. Key Graduations: Scott McKillop (MLB) Eric Thatcher (FS) Conredge Collins (FB) C.J. Davis (OG) Conor Lee (K) Recruiting Outlook: This is the time of the year when schools are making their last big push in the world of recruiting. Uncommitted prospects are getting the ‘full-court press’ treatment from coaching staffs. Here’s a look at some of the highly rated prospects from whom Pitt has received verbal commitments and a couple other recruits whom the Panthers have yet to land. Committed: Brock DeCicco (TE): Dom’s younger brother helped his Thomas Jefferson team to a state title this year. The 6-foot-5 tight end needs to fill out a bit but already has soft hands and playmaking ability. Tyrone Ezell (DL): Ezell is a physical specimen who should become a terror to offensive lines once he’s polished. Jack Lippert (DL): Lippert was a force to be reckoned with this past season at Central Dauphin High School. Todd Thomas (ATH): The only Pitt recruit to receive four stars according to both Scout.com and Rivals.com, Thomas is already familiar with Heinz Field from his trips to the WPIAL playoffs. Uncommitted: Dan Mason (LB): After missing out on Ohio State-bound Dorian Bell, the Panthers have been focused on bringing in Mason, another touted prospect at linebacker. Mason is scheduled to visit Pitt this weekend. Kolby Gray (QB): With shaky play from the quarterback position this year, bringing in a dual-threat gunslinger from Texas doesn’t sound like such a bad idea. Projected 2009 Starting Lineup: There is a lot that can happen between now and August, but here is how the Panther lineup might turn out on opening day. Offense QB: Bill Stull (Sr.) RB: LeSean McCoy (Jr.) FB: Henry Hynoski (So.) TE: Nate Byham (Sr.) WR: Jonathan Baldwin (So.) WR: T.J. Porter (Sr.) OT: Jason Pinkston (Jr.) OG: Chris Jacobson (So.) C: Robb Houser (Sr.) OG: John Malecki (Sr.) OT: Lucas Nix (So.) Defense NT: Gus Mustakas (Sr.) DT: Mick Williams (Sr.) DE: Jabaal Sheard (Jr.) DE: Greg Romeus (Jr.) SLB: Greg Williams (So.) MLB: Brandon Lindsey (So.) WLB: Shane Murray (Sr.) CB: Aaron Berry (Sr.) CB: Ricky Gary (Jr.) FS: Andrew Taglianetti (So.) SS: Dom DeCicco (Jr.) PK: Kevin Harper (Fr.) P: Dan Hutchins (Jr.) Young Players to Watch: Shayne Hale (DE, Fr.), Cam Saddler (WR, Fr.), Jarred Holley (CB, Fr.), Antwuan Reed (CB, Fr.), Chris Burns (RB, Fr.), Shariff Harris (RB, So.)