Pitt packs the pool, beats WVU

By Emily Steiner

Both the Pitt men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams won their ‘Pack the Pool’ meet against… Both the Pitt men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams won their ‘Pack the Pool’ meet against Big East rival West Virginia on Saturday, defeating the Mountaineers 155.5-144.5 on the men’s side and 166.5-131.5 for the women. The women improved their record to 3-1, 2-1 Big East, while the men evened out their record to 2-2, 1-2. Both Pitt teams beat West Virginia last season as well. The win was especially important because of the length of the break the team has had since the last dual meet, held in November at Cincinnati. ‘It was just a good team win,’ said senior B.J. Conklyn. ‘It’s been two months since we had a meet. I think we showed the Big East that we’re ready to go.’ Conklyn placed second in the 100- and 200-yard breaststroke, but saw season-best times in both. Swimmers of the meet were juniors Allie Horvath and Justin Corvin. Corvin won the 50 freestyle, placed third in the 100 freestyle and was a member of the winning 400-yard freestyle relay that secured Pitt’s victory. On the men’s side, the score was up and down all day, with the men leading by only two points going into the last event. Sweeping events and relays proved important. Pitt swept the 3-meter diving event, with Alex Volovetski winning, followed by Collin Forner and Zane McLain, in addition to a near-sweep in the 50 freestyle. West Virginia’s Brad Eichenseer and Pitt’s Otto Pagel tied for third in that event. ‘West Virginia brings out the best in the swimmers and divers,’ said Conklyn. ‘You have to show up, you can’t just expect to win.’ The women took the lead from the beginning of the meet and just kept adding to it. West Virginia won all but seven events, but it was Pitt’s ability to get the second, third and fourth place finishes that allowed it to hang onto the lead. Horvath picked up those extra points with two fourth-place finishes in both backstroke events. Sophomore Laura Barnes won both breaststroke events and was a member of the winning 200 medley relay along with Ryann Kishbaugh, Caitlin Trant and Kristen McMullan. ‘I think we got a boost of confidence,’ said Barnes. ‘We’re going to go into Big East hungrier now.’ Pitt will return to action when it travels to College Park, Md., for a two-day meet against Maryland, Penn State and Villanova.