Littman: Really want a playoff, football fans? I wouldn’t be so sure.

By Pitt News Staff

Are you happy? You finally got you what you wanted, right? A playoff. Maybe it’s not the… Are you happy? You finally got you what you wanted, right? A playoff. Maybe it’s not the college football playoffs everybody seems to want, but the NFL playoffs are now halfway over. So, is this really how you want college football to be? No way. College football is perfect as it is, and anyone thinking differently need not look further than this past weekend. Out of the four Divisional Round playoff games, the lower-seeded road team won three times. And a playoff system is supposed to guarantee that only the top teams play for a title? That certainly isn’t happening right now. You can’t argue that Florida wasn’t the best college football team in the nation. It’s got Tim Tebow, who is not only so good at football the Heisman should be renamed after him but is also an exemplary human being. Early word is that right after Tebow announced his return, Florida was invited to next year’s Rose Bowl. This NFL playoff baloney hasn’t brought us fans the top teams in the league heading into the conference championship games. This year, 10 teams finished with double-digit wins, yet only two of those teams are among the four left in the playoffs. And only one of the top five teams from the regular season, the Pittsburgh Steelers, remains. Sorry to keep destroying your pathetic attempts to take down the BCS, but if anything, it’s a playoff system that doesn’t see the best teams win a championship. Here’s a mind-blowing stat for you supporters of a college playoff. The four teams left ‘- the Pittsburgh Steelers, Baltimore Ravens, Arizona Cardinals and Philadelphia Eagles ‘-‘ went a combined 41-23-1. All other teams in the league went a combined 214-233-1. That’s a lot of wins, none of which came from the Lions, who will be left out of the Super Bowl. The numbers don’t lie. Playoffs produce mediocre champions.’ Now no team is perfect. Well, last season’s New England Patriots team was perfect but had to play the lowly New York Giants, who clearly lucked out and stole the title from the greatest team ever. Would that have happened in the BCS? No way! So let’s just take a closer look at this year’s four playoff teams still vying for the Super Bowl and why they’re undeserving of the chance to play in it. After that, you can decide if you want things to stay like this, or if you’d rather see your beloved Steelers battling in the inaugural Manute Bol Bowl. There are plenty of reasons the Cardinals shouldn’t get to the Super Bowl. First off, their quarterback, Kurt Warner, is old. He’s 37, which isn’t old in the real world, but in football years, it’s like my parents’ age. So I get to tell my parents someone roughly their age is playing professional football, and they tell me how I’m almost the same age as LeBron James. Then we weep over our athletic shortcomings. See, playoffs ruin the American household. How about the Eagles? In a game in late November against the Ravens, coach Andy Reid benched starting quarterback Donovan McNabb in favor of Kevin Kolb. What if McNabb has a bad first half in the NFC title game or Super Bowl? Do you want to sit and watch Kolb play football? Of course not. Plus, Eagle fans, you have to ask yourself, is winning a Super Bowl really worth suffering through more Andy Reid-coached teams, assuming they win and give him an extension? And the Ravens? Joe Flacco, a rookie, is their quarterback. Rookies can’t win the Super Bowl. Name the last time a freshman quarterback led his team to a BCS Championship. Only quarterbacks in the middle of their careers should be allowed to play in the Super Bowl. Call me crazy, but I think it’s time to give Kyle Boller another try. All that’s left is the Steelers, who I’m contractually prohibited from insulting. Just kidding. Don’t you fear for Ben Roethlisberger’s mental health at this point? Do you really want to keep trotting him back out there, concussion after concussion, just to watch him play a game? Even if the Steelers win the Super Bowl, it’s possible he’ll have no recollection of it at all. Also, they finished second in the AFC to Tennessee, who also beat the Steelers in the regular season. My computers say it should be a Tennessee vs. Carolina Super Bowl, which would answer a question many have pondered. No, not ‘who loves orange soda,’ but who wins the ultimate quarterback showdown between Kerry Collins and Jake Delhomme? That’s what you’re missing, sports fans. Instead, you settle for this weekly madness, where anything can happen and supposedly great teams have to keep proving their greatness. With this system, there’s a chance the Super Bowl can feature two in-state rivals, a team with a rookie quarterback or America’s oldest football franchise, which has yet to make a Super Bowl. Computers get a bad rep, but they’re not so bad. They gave us Minesweeper. But they won’t give us our Super Bowl champion. No, that will be determined out on the field. And that’s what you want.