Obama swears in as 44th president

By Katelyn Polantz

WASHINGTON — Barack Hussein Obama was sworn in as the 44th president of the United States… WASHINGTON — Barack Hussein Obama was sworn in as the 44th president of the United States five minutes after noon yesterday in Washington, D.C.

He stood before a crowd of millions that filled the 3-mile stretch of the National Mall from the Capitol building to the Lincoln Memorial.

To accommodate the crowd, Jumbotron screens and massive speakers lining both sides of the Mall played the scene unfolding on the Capitol steps.

The bystanders who weren’t standing shoulder to shoulder straining to see the Jumbotron and hear the booming echo of the speakers sat on the ground and covered themselves with blankets to shield themselves from the wind and the cold. The National Weather Service reported that the high yesterday in Washington was 32 degrees.

The evangelical leader Rick Warren gave the blessing to open the event at 11:30 a.m., then Aretha Franklin sang a soulful rendition of ‘My Country ‘Tis of Thee.” Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., chairperson of the Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies, introduced each motion of the event.

Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens read the oath of office for Vice President Joseph Robert Biden III first, just before noon, then U.S. Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. swore in Obama minutes later.

Between the two leaders’ oaths, a quartet comprised of violin, cello, piano and clarinet played a rendition, arranged by composer John Williams, of the tune ‘Simple Gifts.’

Obama then placed his hand on the Lincoln Bible, which first lady Michelle Obama held. He recited the oath from Roberts’ cues, some of which jumbled words and required repeating.

To the sound of disjointed cheers and chants from the mass of onlookers, Obama began his inaugural address about 10 minutes after noon.

He thanked now-former President George W. Bush for his service to the country, then called into action the listening Americans. He urged the country to act responsibly and work to overcome the challenges the nation faces.

‘Starting today, we must pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and begin again the work of remaking America,’ said Obama, dressed in a dark red scarf and tie. ‘For everywhere we look, there is work to be done.’

He cited the economic crisis, the war in Iraq and Afghanistan, environmental inefficiency and suffering health care and education systems.

‘Today I say to you that the challenges we face are real,’ he said. ‘They are serious, and they are many.’ They will not be met easily or in a short span of time.’ But know this, America: They will be met.’

Millions of people listened intently to these words, mostly silent during the speech except for a few occasional yells and chants of the new president’s last name. Some said ‘Amen’ to his words, many nodded in approval.

A man tuned an old radio he had into NPR and listened to its commentary in addition to the echoing broadcast from the speakers. Cameras flashed throughout the crowd, and onlookers waved American flags, creating a flickering blanket of red and white over the dark sea of people.

‘This is the meaning of our liberty and our creed,’ continued Obama. ‘Why men and women and children of every race and every faith can join in celebration across this magnificent mall, and why a man whose father less than 60 years ago might not have been served at a local restaurant can now stand before you to take a most sacred oath.’

Obama concluded the speech after about 18 minutes:

Elizabeth Alexander, a professor at Yale University and a fellow at Harvard University this year, followed Obama by reading a poem she had written, titled ‘Praise song for the day.’

As many of the crowd members began to disperse, a process that took hours and closed many Metro stations and clogged roadways during the afternoon, Rev. Joseph E. Lowery offered a benediction prayer to conclude the ceremony.

Bush and first lady Laura Bush left the Capitol in a helicopter, and the Obamas and 200 guests left the bitter cold outside to attend the Inaugural luncheon in the Capitol building before the Inaugural parade commenced at 3:30 p.m, escorting the Obamas down Pennsylvania Avenue from the Capitol building to their new home, the White House.