Editorial: Driving with cell phones only safe if hands free

By Pitt News Staff

Cell phone use while driving has a history of causing both crashes and controversy. State Rep…. Cell phone use while driving has a history of causing both crashes and controversy. State Rep. Josh Shapiro, D-Montgomery, tried in 2007 to pass a bill that would prohibit hand-held cell phone use while driving in Pennsylvania, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. The bill failed although it received support from 44 co-sponsors. A couple of weeks ago, Shapiro announced he would relaunch the bill. Despite a past failure, Shapiro is heading down the correct road. Pennsylvania state police reports revealed that in 2007 alone hand-held cell phones contributed to 1,245 vehicle accidents. Yet in that same year, only 56 accidents involved hands-free cell phones. The statistics provide immutable evidence that hand-held cell phones are a legitimate disruption to drivers. They are a cause for both fender-benders and severe, life-threatening automobile accidents. Although a bill banning cell-phone use while driving should be passed right away, the policy would be a waste of state legislators’ time if the new law were not properly enforced. Critics of the proposed law argue that the state police would have no means of keeping the law in check. Proper enforcement of this law would require, first and foremost, a strong effort by state police: They must actively seek violators. The penalty for violating the cell phone law should not be merely tacked on to a driver’s record when he s committed a separate violation or was involved in an accident. To increase effectiveness, officers would need to adamantly target violators. If receiving a ticket for driving while on a cell phone were as common as getting a speeding ticket, the number of violators would most likely diminish. Under Shapiro’s bill, the penalty for defying the cell phone ban is a $50 fine. No points would be added to the violator’s license, however. With the proposed consequences, violators would not receive a strict enough punishment so as to maximize the effectiveness of the law. The fine should be comparable to a serious speeding ticket and points should be added to the licenses of those caught disregarding this law. Cell phone prohibition laws have spurred complaints from those opposed to over-regulation from government. Critics cite numerous other driving distractions ‘mdash; from blaring radios to eating or drinking while driving ‘mdash; and argue that such disturbances hinder driving ability on a comparative level. Yet the range of driver distractions is too diverse to implement a policy for each one. Hand-held cell phones are a ubiquitous distraction to drivers, and thus a specific policy against their use is warranted. Pennsylvania should join the six states ‘mdash; including New Jersey, California, Connecticut and New York ‘mdash; that already prohibit cell-phone use while driving.