Editorial: Pennsylvania should launch no frills schools

By Pitt News Staff

‘ ‘ ‘ Pennsylvania education officials proposed a new, unique way of receiving higher-level… ‘ ‘ ‘ Pennsylvania education officials proposed a new, unique way of receiving higher-level education this Wednesday. ‘ ‘ ‘ The officials surfaced the idea of opening new colleges aimed at one thing: providing their students an affordable way to obtain a bachelor’s degree in as quick and efficient a manner as possible, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. ‘ ‘ ‘ The proposed schools would offer an education ‘mdash; and not much else. In an effort to reduce the schools’ tuition fees, they would be stripped bare of all extracurricular activities, sports teams, fancy fitness centers and plush dormitories. ‘ ‘ ‘ Most colleges and universities heavily advertise the very aspects of college life that such new schools would forego. Regardless, the straight-to-the-point style of education could be very beneficial for certain types of college students. ‘ ‘ ‘ This type of school might cater to the needs of students looking for a different style of education. The schools would offer four-year degrees but would cut the time it takes to earn them by implementing year-round programs. ‘ ‘ ‘ Some fresh high school graduates opt to take a year or two off before heading to college to work or travel. These students could still receive their degrees at the same time they would have, had they entered college right from high school. ‘ ‘ ‘ Furthermore, such schools would provide an attractive alternative for adults looking to go back and finish a degree or even begin their pursuit of a degree. ‘ ‘ ‘ Upper level education in Pennsylvania is by no means inexpensive. Pennsylvania is the sixth most expensive state in the country for students to acquire a college education, according to a report released by the state board in November. The average cost of education in the state is $532 more than the national average. ‘ ‘ ‘ Sure, community colleges offer an inexpensive opportunity for education. ‘ ‘ ‘ But the new schools would allow affordable four-year degrees instead of the associate degrees offered by most community colleges. ‘ ‘ ‘ Putting these new schools into service would cost the state money. And they’d be a better investment for the state than subsidizing existing schools. ‘ ‘ ‘ While the state pulled back funding to the some of the state-owned and state-related schools this year ‘mdash; including Pitt ‘mdash; a state-issued check to these universities might be used to pay for non-academic expenditures.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ Educational institutions like Pitt have many more facets to put money toward than schools that do not offer a plethora of student-related, extracurricular groups and activities. ‘ ‘ ‘ Currently these new schools remain in a theoretical state. However, Pennsylvania should quickly implement the schools to expedite the administrational processes involved with opening new schools.