Berenato, Panthers face challenge in Aggies

By Emily Steiner

Taking on a highly ranked team this early in the season might seem like a difficult feat, but… Taking on a highly ranked team this early in the season might seem like a difficult feat, but Pitt women’s basketball coach Agnus Berenato believes her team can handle the challenge. Coming off two exhibition wins, Pitt looks to continue on the road as it starts its regular season in Baton Rouge, La., this weekend at the State Farm Tip-Off Classic. The Panthers take on the No. 11 Texas A’amp;M Aggies on Sunday. To Berenato, the outcome of the game won’t be about how the Panthers handle Texas A’amp;M, but how well Pitt plays as Pitt. ‘We have to really worry about us,’ said Berenato. ‘We know we can compete. We’re confident in our team’s ability to not only compete with Texas A’amp;M, but to defeat them.’ This is the first time the Panthers have been invited to the prestigious tournament, but it’s a big deal on more levels. They’re one of four teams to open the entire NCAA women’s basketball season, and the event is happening on national television. Pitt’s game will air on ESPN on Sunday at 6 p.m. But Pitt wants people to know it deserves to be there. ‘We feel we’re capable of competing against the best,’ said Berenato. ‘This is a huge game for us. We’re going in with the mentality that we can compete with them. We’re not just happy to be invited there, but we’re going there to win. That’s my mentality, and I know that’s my team’s mentality.’ ‘We’re just really happy to see where we are at this point. It’s always better to find out earlier rather than later.’ Pitt is currently unranked in the preseason AP poll but garnered a No. 23-ranking in the opening USA Today/ESPN poll. Last season, the Aggies went 29-8, won the Big 12 tournament and went to the Elite Eight, losing to Tennessee. They’re bringing back several starters, including senior Takia Starks, their two-time All-Big 12 Conference First Team member who averages 16 points and four rebounds per game. Starks has already been added to the preseason watch list for the State Farm Wade Trophy Division I Player of the Year and preseason first team All-American. ‘She has a scorer’s mentality,’ said Berenato of Starks. ‘She definitely is the kid who helped take them to the Elite Eight.’ The other Aggie that Pitt is looking out for is senior Danielle Gant, who is described by her coach, Gary Blair, as ‘by far the best finisher we have on our team.’ Pitt will start veterans Shavonte Zellous, junior Jania Sims and senior Xenia Stewart. ‘Xenia Stewart is the backbone,’ said Berenato. ‘She is the warrior for us; she’s so solid. You want Xenia on your team and on the court at all times.’ Sophomore Shayla Scott and freshman Shawnice ‘Pepper’ Wilson, who led the team with 17 points against the Premier Players on Tuesday, round out Sunday’s starters. Berenato says that even though the team is playing more than 1,000 miles away, it would flourish on knowing there is student support, especially after seeing a large turnout for preseason games. ‘If I could employ [the students] to turn on the TV and watch, we will thrive off their energy,’ said Berenato. ‘We need them to be actively pulling for us. This game is about the University of Pittsburgh.’