Pitt volleyball handles Rutgers on the road

By Jay Huerbin

The Pitt volleyball team defeated Rutgers in four sets on the road on Saturday, ending a… The Pitt volleyball team defeated Rutgers in four sets on the road on Saturday, ending a two-game skid and improving its record to 7-3 in the Big East. Pitt also extended its perfect 4-0 record on the road this season. Senior Kelly Campbell recorded a double-double as she led the Panthers with 14 kills and 10 digs. Sophomore Amy Town and freshman Allyson Hodnick also contributed with nine kills and 33 assists, respectively. Defensively, senior Stephanie Ross blocked seven shots and had 10 digs. The Panthers out-blocked the Scarlet Knights, 13.5-7. Trailing 21-19 in the first set, Pitt stormed back with a 6-0 run to seal the win and set the tone for the rest of the match. The momentum from the first set’s come-from-behind win continued, and Pitt defeated the Scarlet Knights in the second set. After the two teams came out for the third set, Rutgers showed it wouldn’t let Pitt leave Jersey without a fight, jumping to a 7-1 lead. The Panthers made it a close set, but after giving up a 4-0 run, they fell behind again, eventually losing the game. But the Panthers jumped out to an early lead in the fourth set and never looked back. Using the energy seen in the first two sets, the team posted a .306 hitting percentage while holding the Scarlet Knights to only 16 points. With their 15th overall win, the Panthers matched their win total from all of last season. Pitt faces Louisville (7-3 Big East, 11-10 overall) on Friday. The two teams are tied for second in the Big East.