NOW Ensemble makes orchestras hip

By by Samantha Stahl

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ While orchestra performances have a tendency to conjure images of sleepy concerts led… ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ While orchestra performances have a tendency to conjure images of sleepy concerts led by a wildly gray-haired composer, NOW Ensemble is coming to Pittsburgh on Saturday to rock the chamber music scene. Literally. ‘ ‘ ‘ With performances and recordings with musicians like Sufjan Stevens and The National on its resume, this isn’t a typical orchestra. ‘ ‘ ‘ NOW Ensemble, formed six years ago at Yale’s School of Music, is a seven-member group of young musicians and composers. Its sound is unlike any other group of its kind. When asked to explain the group’s sound, Pittsburgh native and composer Patrick Burke laughed at the difficulty to form an answer. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘It combines the expert playing of chamber music with the energy and pulsing hypnotic rhythm of pop and rock,’ said Burke. ‘There’s a pop sensibility to it.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ After classical training at Duquesne University, Burke went to the University of Texas and then Yale to work on his doctorate. At Yale, he met Judd Greenstein and Sara Phillips and began to set the gears in motion to bring a new kind of performance group to campus. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘We needed a better outlet for our music,’ said Burke. ‘University ensembles are fine, but we wanted to reach a wider audience with something that would work better outside of school. We’re trying to form a voice for our generation.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Shortly after, four more members joined the group, people Burke described as ‘the best players, period. They’re my friends so I’m biased but really, they are awesome performers who can play anything.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ The ensemble is comprised of two composers and five players ‘mdash; flute, clarinet, electric guitar, piano and double bass ‘mdash; all from Yale or Juilliard. With a ‘do-it-yourself attitude,’ Burke and his peers set out to ‘play music we like and enjoy.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘This is a totally different type of music,’ said Burke. ‘We don’t play museum music that sounds like it’s for dead people. A lot of chamber music just sounds like it’s in a museum.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ The group stays busy teaching at college music programs in between frequent performances in and around New York. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘Our performances are a more casual atmosphere than you’d expect. Unlike typical chamber music concerts, everyone’s playing in every piece. It’s more like a jazz or rock group in that sense. ‘ ‘ ‘ NOW Ensemble has big plans for a future that will undoubtedly be successful. ‘We’re at a really big point right now. We just released a CD in January and have been getting amazing reviews. We also got a spot on NPR’s ‘All Things Considered,” said Burke. ‘ ‘ ‘ In the mean time, NOW Ensemble will perform on Saturday at Bellefield Hall as part of Pitt’s Music on the Edge program. The Music on the Edge series, co-directed by professors Eric Moe and Mathew Rosenblum, presents contemporary musicians from around the world. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘It should be a really dynamic show. There will be lots of energy,’ said Burke.