Letter to the Editor 1, 11-20

By Pitt News Staff

Dear Editor, ‘ ‘ ‘ I am disappointed that The Pitt News selected Justin Romeo as the best… Dear Editor, ‘ ‘ ‘ I am disappointed that The Pitt News selected Justin Romeo as the best candidate for Student Government Board president. Every election, candidates make appealing promises that are completely unfeasible if you know the first thing about the organization that is SGB. Justin Romeo’s idea of SGB-awarded scholarships is a total empty promise and demonstrates that he does not understand the position he is running for. ‘ ‘ ‘ In a time when the economy is tight and scholarship money is difficult to come by, Romeo thinks the administration will be willing to fork over more money (in addition to our $2.4 million student activities fee) so that popular students on the eighth floor of the Union can give it out to whomever they see fit. The University already pays administrators to do comprehensive research to determine who needs scholarship money.’ They will by no means see SGB officials as the proper people to dispense their scholarship money. ‘ ‘ ‘ Furthermore, the project falls outside the scope of SGB. Perhaps before running for president, Romeo should have taken a look at the SGB constitution (or be able to name more than one SGB committee). We are elected to serve as representatives of the student body to administration, not to duplicate services already provided by the University. ‘ ‘ ‘ I would hope that in the future The Pitt News will endorse candidates who understand the position they are running for, not those who provide empty promises in desperation to secure votes. Ryan Very Current SGB Member