Trustees approve Thornburgh, others

By Caitlyn Christensen

Friday’s Board of Trustees meeting hit on the high points of the current academic year and… Friday’s Board of Trustees meeting hit on the high points of the current academic year and passed a resolution electing three Emeriti Trustees to Pitt. The Board of Trustees elected Steven C. Beering, J. Roger Glunt and Dick Thornburgh as Emeriti Trustees of Pitt for ‘exceptional contributions and service to the welfare and progress of the University,’ said the Board. The title of emeritus is an honorary distinction rewarded to selected trustees. Emeriti trustees do not partake in board votes. ‘These are trustees who have made such lasting and important contributions to our community that the University wishes to recognize them with this extremely special and distinguished status,’ said Robert Hill, the vice chancellor of public affairs for Pitt. ‘These three gentlemen have been incredibly generous in their time and talents throughout the years, and giving them this title honors their commitment,’ said Pitt spokesman John Fedele. Thornburgh served as governor of Pennsylvania and attorney general of the United States under President Ronald Reagan and President George H.W. Bush. He donated the Dick Thornburgh Archive Collection to the University in 1988, which is available to all researchers at Pitt. Beering established the Beering Scholarship Fund in the School of Medicine. He chaired and served on a number of committees during his eight years as term trustee for Pitt. Beering is also president emeritus at Purdue University. Glunt served as an alumni trustee for eight years at Pitt and was heavily involved in the Pitt Alumni Association. The committee acknowledged his establishment of the Hoffman Memorial Fund for promoting Pitt’s influence in the field of oncology nursing. He is vice president of Pitt Properties Real Estate. ‘We’ve benefited from their expertise and wisdom; they have truly set the direction for the University, for what they see as a vision for the University,’ said Fedele. In addition to the elections, the meeting was marked by Chancellor Mark Nordenberg’s report to the Board of Trustees commending a successful start to the year, praising staff and student volunteers for a smooth move-in day and recognizing a record-breaking turnout at the freshman convocation ceremony. ‘This University has been a source of strength and learning and growth for its students for more than 200 years,’ said Chancellor Nordenberg. Nordenberg spoke to the Board of Trustees about the University’s contributions to economic growth, research and the community. He highlighted research awards to Pitt faculty members for work in medical areas such as cardiology and skin cancer, and recent National Institutes of Health rankings that placed Pitt above Yale and Harvard in science and engineering research and development.’ ‘Our strength and stature are at all-time highs, and our momentum continues to build,’ said Nordenberg. Nordenberg talked about Pitt’s contributions to the community’s ‘strength and vibrancy’ with service-related events such as October’s Pitt Make a Difference Day and Pitt’s United Way Campaign, which is running through December. He referenced the economic situation, saying that it would make the years ahead difficult for Pitt, but his message was hopeful. ‘I look forward to building and sharing another year of Pitt progress with you,’ said Nordenberg to the Board. The meeting was also a chance for Dean Kathy Humphrey to present the implementation of the Outside the Classroom Curriculum to the Board of Trustees. ‘The Outside the Classroom Curriculum is becoming a vital part of the student experience and Pitt culture,’ said Humphrey. Through the OCC program, students receive credit for participation in extracurricular events and activities through the University and the city. Humphrey said because of the program, freshmen are participating in programs and activities in record numbers this year. ‘It’s helping students find and know what they should be doing,’ said Humphrey.