Pitt and the President, 11/13/08

By Pitt News Staff

Last week, on November 4th, Sen. Barack Obama was elected to be the 44th president of the United… Last week, on November 4th, Sen. Barack Obama was elected to be the 44th president of the United States, defeating Sen. John McCain. The Pitt News Focus Group sat down to discuss the outcome of the election and what’s to come in the next four years. Charlotte Bonilla Obviously, I’m disappointed with the outcome of the election. I really hoped that McCain would ultimately take the election, or at least not lose by as much as he did. My hope for the future is that president-elect Obama will be able to unite Republicans and Democrats alike under his administration to fix the economic crisis, as best they can, and make progression for the future. Lauren O’Leary I’m really pleasantly surprised with how the election turned out, in that Obama was able to take away so many electoral votes in so many formerly Republican counties and states. I’m really looking forward to seeing how his term as president starts’hellip; I’m really interested and excited to see how he hits the ground running in January. Carrie Weintraub President-elect Barack Obama has spoken about the spirit of bipartisanship and making it important within his cabinet and within congress as well, and I’d really like to see how that plays out, and with the different people that he’s appointing to his cabinet’hellip;I’d really like to see how the nation will change for the better.’ Megan Black Everyone thinks that Barack Obama has this magical remedy cure to the economic crisis and the financial crisis and all the world’s problems since he’s been elected. I mean it’s only been one week. His inauguration isn’t even until January, so he can’t even take office till then. People are already knocking him for not doing anything, but he can’t. I wish everyone would stop stirring and let his campaign take administration. Tydeea Threadgill Everything will take time, we might not even see a change until the end of [Obama’s] term because it will take so long’hellip; for the fruits of his labors to show, but I hope this doesn’t discourage young voters and first time voters from being active in the next election because they finally voted for someone and they don’t feel that their vote actually counted because they might have voted for, in their opinion, the wrong candidate because all of their problems weren’t solved.