Editorial: Judgment Day

By Pitt News Staff

‘ ‘ ‘ After almost two years of tireless campaigning, countless speeches, television… ‘ ‘ ‘ After almost two years of tireless campaigning, countless speeches, television appearances and visits abroad and throughout the United States, Sen. Barack Obama and Sen. John McCain have made it to Election Day. The 2008 presidential campaign has finally and thankfully come to a close. Today is the fateful day that will reveal the next president of the United States. ‘ ‘ ‘ But this will happen only with your help. ‘ ‘ ‘ In a democratic country like the United States, it is easy for citizens to take for granted their right to vote. But the right to vote is the very foundation of our democracy. ‘ ‘ ‘ Nevertheless, only 64 percent of U.S. citizens aged 18 and older voted in the last presidential election, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. While this number is a four-percent increase from the 2000 presidential election, it is still decidedly low. Out of those registered to vote in the 2004 presidential election, 89 percent said they voted. This year, that percentage should be 100. ‘ ‘ ‘ The polls have been predicting the winner of the election for months, leading many voters to think their particular candidate has the presidency in the bag and that one person’s vote will not make much of a difference. But this is a mistake voters should not make. Recall the 2000 presidential election, when George W. Bush won the state of Florida by merely hundreds of votes. Al Gore won the popular vote by less than 1 percent and Bush won the electoral vote by less than 1 percent. The election was one of the closest races in American history. ‘ ‘ ‘ In Pennsylvania especially, your vote is critical. Pennsylvania has been a crucial battleground these past few months. As a swing state, Pennsylvania could determine who ultimately wins the presidency. ‘ ‘ ‘ But the office of the presidency is not the only one at stake in this election. Voters will cast their ballots for congressional candidates, potentially giving one party more power than the other. ‘ ‘ ‘ Votes for state and local candidates such as governors and county commissioners will also be cast. ‘ ‘ ‘ So, today, make sure to take time to head to the polls and vote. Whether you’re busy working or overwhelmed with classes, whether you have outstanding parking tickets or other traffic violations, whether you have overdue bills or county fines, be aware that you still have the right to vote. ‘ ‘ ‘ In Pennsylvania, polls open at 7 a.m. and close at 8 p.m., so voters should arrive early to avoid long lines. And if you cannot make it early, don’t let the long lines overwhelm you. Stand in line for as long as it takes. If you arrive on time, election officials cannot turn you away. Once there, voters should not be afraid to ask questions. If you’re confused about how to use the machines, seek help. ‘ ‘ ‘ This is perhaps the most important election in our nation’s history. Don’t miss the opportunity to have a voice in it.