True emotion through Dylan-esque lyrics

By Natalie Bell

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ It’s not often that an album can make you want to laugh and cry. ‘ ‘ ‘ Franks Hoier’s… ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ It’s not often that an album can make you want to laugh and cry. ‘ ‘ ‘ Franks Hoier’s album, Lovers ‘amp; Dollars, has a poetic sense about it. The guitar and harmonica folk sound lends itself well to the melancholy, thoughtful and humorous lyrics. There’s generally a mellow feel as the album drifts through its 10 songs with shades of country. ‘ ‘ ‘ Hoier’s voice has a genuineness about it that adds heartfelt tones to the songs. Sometimes wavering and other times strong, he’s a great blend of a bluesy lullaby and an animated folk song. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘We Both Live in Brooklyn, Babe,’ gently sways through lyrics like, ‘This feeling’s rainin’ on my roof / Thru my window down into my room / The moonlight’s shinin’ like your eyes / The October wind is hummin’ your time.’ Showing off the singer’s lyrical talent, it’s the kind of song you play when you’re feeling a little down. ‘ ‘ ‘ Similarly, the lyrics and music of ‘Ninety-nine Thoughts’ haunt in a thought-provoking way. A wavering melody hovering just above a steady beat adds to the song’s seemingly hardened wisdom, with lyrics like, ‘You’ve got 15 friends smilin’ wide / 14 of ’em’s got something to hide.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ The album has some fantastic upbeat tracks, like the humorous ’41st St. Blues (You Look Good to Me).’ It’s difficult not to break out in a smile when you hear lines like, ‘Baby with a patch over your right eye / But that left one’s pretty, it’s gonna make me sigh.’ There’s something very charming about the way Hoier presents his music, and it comes across very strongly in this song. ‘ ‘ ‘ Lovers ‘amp; Dollars bundles humor and sadness well into the album. The guitar/harmonica combination that’s so reminiscent of blues gives this album something a little different. ‘ ‘ ‘ It’s an album for lovers that’s worth more than a few dollars.