Political Point Counterpoint: Sen. Barack Obama for U.S. president

By Shane Levy

‘ ‘ ‘ The United States faces trying times. We are currently entrenched in seemingly endless… ‘ ‘ ‘ The United States faces trying times. We are currently entrenched in seemingly endless wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and have fallen victim to one of the worst economic crises we have ever encountered. After eight years under the leadership of President George W. Bush, the United States is now strictly divided along social, economic and political lines and has an international image that is largely battered. Americans have lost confidence in the ability of their government to protect and benefit its citizens. With the future of the United States hanging in the balance, this election is one of the most consequential that has ever taken place. ‘ ‘ ‘ If anything has been made clear over the course of the campaign season, it is that the American people are tired of ineffective and partisan-driven politics from the nation’s highest office. The American people are in need of a new form of leadership suited not only to better protect and serve American citizens in the 21st century, but also to restore America’s image and status as the world’s leading superpower. ‘ ‘ ‘ Sen. Barack Obama represents a movement for change that has followed America throughout its history. Change is what guided our founding fathers in fighting British oppression to form our nation. It is what guided Lincoln toward abolition and forming ‘a more perfect union.’ And yet again, in 2008, the American people are calling for change in this nation’s government. That change will come not from someone whose politics are mired in decades past, but from a young senator from Illinois who is committed to establishing a stronger and more effective government in times when the United States requires one. ‘ ‘ ‘ At the forefront of all the issues facing Americans today is the current economic crisis. The financial system has fallen victim to decades of Republican deregulation and anti-tax legislation. Unlike Sen. John McCain, whose tax policies would overwhelmingly benefit the top one percent of this county (a legacy of the failed Bush tax policies), Obama’s tax policies would work to create a more fair and efficient system of taxation. The Obama tax policies would benefit working Americans, whose standard of living and economic situation has been compromised by the deregulatory economic policies of past Republican Congresses and presidential administrations. ‘ ‘ ‘ But digging the United States out of the economic hole in which it currently finds itself is not only limited to economic policy. From the inception of American involvement in Iraq, Obama has been an ardent opponent of military engagement in the country. Today, it is clear that the Iraq war is not only beginning to appear to be a stalemate, but it has also distracted the United States from the real war on terror against the Taliban and al-Qaeda in Afghanistan. While McCain still talks about some misguided notion of ‘victory’ in Iraq, Obama has committed himself to withdrawing troops from the country ‘mdash; saving the United States 12 billion dollars a month and countless American and Iraqi lives. ‘ ‘ ‘ Although Obama’s foreign policy experience might be limited in comparison to McCain’s, the selection of Sen. Joe Biden as his running mate not only provides Obama with one of the most experienced members of Congress in foreign policy, but it also provides a vice president who is more than qualified and capable of being commander in chief. The same cannot be said for Gov. Sarah Palin, who has even less foreign policy experience than Obama and is perhaps the least qualified politician ever to be on a major party ticket. ‘ ‘ ‘ McCain’s selection of Palin as his running mate is quite possibly one of his most irresponsible decisions as she is in no way fit to be president. And that is not inconceivable, as she is only one 72-year-old’s heartbeat away from assuming that role. ‘ ‘ ‘ The next president will most likely be responsible for appointing more than one justice to the Supreme Court over the next few years. With the Supreme Court teetering on the brink of being dominated by a radical right wing, critical American rights are hanging in the balance. While Obama has not identified whom he would appoint to the Supreme Court ‘mdash; something he is far more qualified to do than his opponent ‘mdash; McCain has stated he would never ‘appoint a judge who believes in women’s reproductive rights,’ according to The New York Times. ‘ ‘ ‘ Over the course of Obama’s presidential campaign, he has withstood some of the sharpest and most violent attacks against his character and political record. He has been linked to domestic terrorists and other radical figures and has had his wife’s patriotism called to question. All the while, Obama has maintained a steady hand in leading his groundbreaking presidential campaign. While McCain has increasingly been seen as a bitter and erratic man, Obama’s cool head and steady hand have not only led him to be portrayed as a more presidential figure, but the exact type of leader that the United States currently needs. E-mail Shane at [email protected].