Pitt snags control of Big East, Connecticut falls

By Randy Lieberman

The Big East football standings took a hit of the unexpected last Thursday, courtesy of another… The Big East football standings took a hit of the unexpected last Thursday, courtesy of another conference upset from the Pittsburgh Panthers. The Panthers (4-1, 2-0) ran over the then No. 10-ranked Bulls, 26-21, to take the outright lead in the Big East Conference. It was only 10 months ago that the Panthers stunned West Virginia, 13-9, to strip the Mountaineers’ National Championship hopes away. The Bulls fell to 0-1 in the conference and are now ranked No. 19 in the AP poll. Pitt jumped to No. 24 in the AP poll. It’s the first time Pitt has been ranked during the season since 2004. The previously No. 24-ranked Connecticut Huskies paved the way for the Panthers into the rankings. The Huskies lost big to the North Carolina Tar Heels on Saturday, 38-12, becoming the only unbeaten team to lose Saturday. The Huskies can’t seem to figure out the ACC. Connecticut suffered its first loss of the season to a current ACC team for the eighth-straight season. UConn had three punts blocked by UNC linebacker Bruce Davis, including one recovered in the endzone for a touchdown. Meanwhile, in each team’s first Big East tilt, the aforementioned Mountaineers took care of the Rutgers Scarlet Knights at home, 24-17. Mountaineer quarterback Pat White led his team in passing with 137 yards and two touchdowns. He also had 59 yards on the ground before leaving the game with a concussion. Still, White is expected to play Saturday against Syracuse. Finally, the Cincinnati Bearcats rolled over Marshall on Friday, 33-10, behind a freshman quarterback in his first career start. Possessor of what might be the coolest first name in the Big East, Chazz Anderson tossed for 158 yards and the first two touchdowns of his career en route to the victory. Here’s a rundown of some awards. Big East ‘Beast[s]’ of the Week This is a tie between the Pitt tailback LeSean McCoy and linebacker Scott McKillop. The Big East Conference honored McCoy as the Big East Conference’s Offensive Player of the Week and McKillop as the Defensive Player of the Week. McKillop also won Walter Camp National Defensive Player of the Week honors. McCoy ran for 142 yards and two touchdowns on 28 carries to help seal the win for the Panthers. McKillop anchored a Pitt defense that held South Florida to 219 yards below its season average. Part of that was because Pitt limited Bulls’ quarterback Matt Grothe to just 129 yards passing. McKillop had a team-high 12 tackles, all solo, including two sacks and three tackles for a loss. McKillop also snuffed out a fake field goal attempt in the first half. Big East ‘Least’ of the Week UConn’s Tyler Frazer, along with the Huskies’ entire special teams unit. Frazer was asked to throw 44 times in his first career start, but completed just 24 of those passes. The Huskies couldn’t overcome three costly Frazer interceptions, one of which was returned for a touchdown. Three blocked punts, one recovered in the end zone for a Tar Heel’s touchdown, coupled with the interceptions led to the debacle that Connecticut coach Randy Edsall took full responsibility for. Big East Game of the Week Pitt-USF Big East Stat of the Week Where to start? The Huskies outgained the Tar Heels, 378-263, led in time of possession 36:22 to 23:38 and recorded 23 first downs compared to UNC’s 13. Still, they couldn’t come through with the win. Big East Matchup of the Week Ahead The Syracuse Orange travel to Morgantown this Saturday to take on the Mountaineers. It’s possible this will be Syracuse coach Greg Robinson’s last season game.