Soundtrack like friend’s mixtape

By Natalie Bell

‘ ‘ ‘ Following in ‘Juno’s’ footsteps, the soundtrack to ‘Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist’… ‘ ‘ ‘ Following in ‘Juno’s’ footsteps, the soundtrack to ‘Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist’ sounds like a mix CD from an indie-loving friend. ‘ ‘ ‘ The songs are an eclectic grouping, and the only thing they all have in common is that each one has an interesting twist. They often employ unique percussion that elicits the occasional bout of bopping. Ranging from punk to ballads, the tracks mingle well. Occasionally, though, they transition oddly. ‘ ‘ ‘ But the individuality of each song doesn’t stop a few of them from standing out above the rest. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘Lover,’ by Devendra Banhart, has a funky pop feel. Its lyrics are made up of innuendos and less subtle sexual references. They are often comical, like ‘I wanna be your cow / Give you all the milk around town / Let me see, let me see you drink it down.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ That might not be poetry, but it makes the song fun to listen to. ‘ ‘ ‘ Vampire Weekend’s ‘Ottoman’ layers simple beats and riffs to pull the audience in. The song builds from there, alternating between the beginning sounds and sections that are reminiscent of classical music. Lyrics like, ‘Begging you to sit for a portrait on the wall / To hang in the dark of some parliamentary hall,’ add to the song’s distinctiveness. ‘ ‘ ‘ The softest song on the album by far is ‘Baby You’re My Light,’ by Richard Hawley. Its gentle sound lulls the listener into the sentimental lyrics. The relaxed feel comes at a good time after the succession of louder, faster paced songs before it. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘Nick ‘amp; Norah’s Theme,’ by Mark Mothersbaugh, is an instrumental piece that seems to be a culmination of all the distinctive sounds from other songs. The instruments that the song uses range from synthesizer to harp. While the album as a whole has a lot of diversity, this final track adds cohesion by combining characteristics of all the songs. ‘ ‘ ‘ From the soundtrack, it seems as though ‘Nick ‘amp; Norah’s Infinite Playlist’ will be as quirky as the rest of the recent movies starring Michael Cera. By including less well-known, though not less well-loved, artists, it adds a unique touch that makes the audience feel like they have stumbled upon something special. With all the variety, it’s worth trying it out on your iPod. Who knows? You might just find a new favorite band.