Murray’s knee still a problem

By Kyle Craig

Pitt weak side linebacker Shane Murray is not listed on Pitt’s two-deep roster heading into the… Pitt weak side linebacker Shane Murray is not listed on Pitt’s two-deep roster heading into the Panthers’ Saturday game against Navy. Murray, a redshirt junior, started every game for the Panthers last season and was expected to retain his starting status before injuring his knee during the last week of preseason training camp in August. He’s struggled to return to the field since then. After playing sparingly against Syracuse and remaining on the sideline last game against South Florida, the remainder of Murray’s season seems to be in doubt. Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt said on Monday that Murray’s knee hasn’t progressed enough to allow him to regain his starting role. ‘We’re in the process of reevaluating exactly what we’re going to do,’ said Wannstedt. ‘He practiced all of last week, and [his knee] is just not where it needs to be, unfortunately.’ Fifth-year senior Austin Ransom will continue to replace Murray. Ransom, a former special teams standout, converted from wide receiver to linebacker after Murray’s absence revealed a lack of depth at the position. The Panthers are missing their two starting outside linebackers from last season because of injuries. Strong side linebacker Adam Gunn is out for the rest of the season after breaking a vertebra in his neck in Pitt’s opener against Bowling Green. No. 1 vs. No. 2 … sort of While the Panthers are ranked 23rd in the latest Associated Press poll, there is one category in which Pitt is No. 1: penalties. Pitt leads the nation in fewest penalty yards per game (21.8 avg.) and fewest penalties per game (3.2 avg.). When the Panthers (4-1, 2-0) travel to Navy (4-2) this weekend, they’ll be facing off with the runner-up on both of those lists. The Midshipmen average 26.5 penalty yards per game and 3.3 penalties per game. Wannstedt gave Navy credit for having players with a tremendous amount of discipline. ‘[Navy puts] a lot of pressure on you, [and] they don’t make many mistakes,’ said Wannstedt. Learning from last year Pitt fell to Navy last season in overtime at Heinz Field, 48-45. Much like this season, the Panthers had a bye week to prepare for Navy’s unconventional triple-option offense. This time around, Pitt hopes that a bye week, combined with last season’s experience, will lead to a better result. Pitt linebacker Scott McKillop said the team’s attitude heading into this game will be different than it was last year. ‘It didn’t really seem like it was as effective as we would have liked it to be,’ said McKillop of last year’s bye week. ‘I think our mentality coming into this season is totally different.’ The Midshipmen enter Saturday’s contest ranked third in the nation in rushing offense, averaging 313.5 rushing yards per game. Their triple-option offense is designed to confuse opposing defenses, while spreading rushing attempts around between the fullback, the quarterback and the slot backs. Even though Pitt will look to contain that rushing attack, the Panthers are also wary of Navy’s ability to throw the ball in key situations. In their last meeting, Navy quarterback Kaipo-Noa Kaheaku-Enhada completed only nine passes, but two of those completions were touchdowns. ‘[Navy] beat us by throwing the ball. That was the most disappointing thing to me,’ said Wannstedt. ‘They are a more capable passing team than anyone gives them credit for.’ Slowing down such an unpredictable offense presents a difficult task for any defense, but McKillop said he welcomes the opportunity to make up for last season’s defeat. ‘It’s a challenge that I know myself and the defense is looking forward to ‘- to answer the test that we didn’t last year,’ said McKillop. Prominent pass rush The Panthers are averaging 3.4 sacks per game through five games, a number that ranks sixth in the nation and first in the Big East. That average might be reduced by next week, however, because Navy’s offensive style doesn’t allow many sack opportunities. The Midshipmen are only giving up one sack per game, a mark that ranks 16th in the nation.