Top Pop Culture Puppets

By Noah Levinson

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ With all these puppeteers coming to Pittsburgh, it’s hard not to remember those puppets… ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ With all these puppeteers coming to Pittsburgh, it’s hard not to remember those puppets that have entertained , and possibly scarred, us for life (I’m looking at you, King Friday XIII). Here are the top 10 of all time. 1. Kermit and the Muppets ‘- These guys are perhaps the most famous puppets of all time. How a frog and a pig could love each other, though, is beyond me. 2. Alf ‘- Did you know that Alf stood for Alien Life Form? I didn’t. 3. Lamb Chop ‘- While Lamb Chop might have enriched our childhoods, let’s not forget ‘The Song That Doesn’t End.’ ‘Some people started singing it, not knowing what it was, and they’ll continue singing it forever just because it’s the song that doesn’t end. Yes, it goes on and on my friend. Some people started singing it, not knowing what it was, and they’ll continue…’ NO!!! 4. Elmo ‘- Elmo deserves his own spot on the list. Not only did he revolutionize the world by being tickled, but he also became the first ‘Sesame Street’ character’ to testify in front of Congress (they finally nailed Oscar the Grouch on racketeering charges). 5. King Friday XIII ‘- From Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood, the King had a wife named Saturday, a son named Tuesday and a crazy drunken cousin named Thirsty Thursday. 6. Yoda ‘- Before using a puppet, an older Mickey Rooney was seriously considered for the role. 7. Big Bird and his ‘Sesame Street’ friends ‘- Is it a guilty fantasy that I’ve always wanted to see the Muppets and the ‘Sesame Street’ characters in a gang war? 8. Inhabitants of Fraggle Rock ‘- Probably created during Jim Henson’s more experimental stages in life. 9. The cast of ‘Avenue Q’ ‘- Won a Tony and taught me where to find porn (the Internet, of course!). 10. Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog ‘- For me to poop on!