Two students stabbed at Hemingway’s

By Staff Report

Two Pitt students, including one under the legal drinking age, were stabbed and another punched… Two Pitt students, including one under the legal drinking age, were stabbed and another punched inside Hemingway’s Cafe early yesterday morning. Police closed off the 3900 block of Forbes Avenue and surrounded Hemingway’s Cafe with police tape after the incident, which occurred at 12:49 a.m. According to Officer Josh Hartle of the Pittsburgh city police, Eric N. Barrionuevo, age 24, was stabbed in the chest and lung area and Jared M. Nash, age 20, was stabbed in the side. It is against Hemingway’s policy to permit 20-year-olds into the bar at night. Mark G. Puzas, 21, was punched in the mouth. Barrionuevo was in critical condition when he and Nash were taken to UPMC Presbyterian hospital. ‘I was talking to him earlier, and he seems alright,’ said Hartle. No arrests were made at the scene. The suspect is described as a black male in his 30s, approximately 5 feet 8 inches tall with an average build and a small afro haircut. He was allegedly with a white male of the same age and size when all five men got into a fight inside the cafe. ‘The city of Pittsburgh is doing the primary investigation,’ said Lt. Holly Lamb of the Pitt police. ‘We’re assisting them as much as we can.’ Pitt.edu’s people finder search engine lists Puzas as an undergraduate student in the College of Business Administration and Nash as an Arts and Sciences undergraduate. Barrionuevo appears on the search engine, although his affiliation with the University is unspecified. Anyone with information regarding the incident is asked to contact Pittsburgh city police.