Letter to the Editor, 10/30

By Pitt News Staff

Dear Editor, ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ The Tuesday, Oct. 28, issue of The Pitt News contained an article,… Dear Editor, ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ The Tuesday, Oct. 28, issue of The Pitt News contained an article, ‘Jobs Plentiful in Nuclear Power.’ I would ask everyone to research what the nuclear industry is doing regarding the disposal of nuclear waste. I agree that ‘we need to educate the public on what our real [energy] choices are.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ CNBC recently did a documentary on the nuclear issue: storage at Yucca Mountain, the French recycling solution, etc. Please take a look at it and ask yourself how long can waste be safely stored? What other solutions are there? What is phytoremediation? What is vitrification? ‘ ‘ ‘ Ask questions of the Citizens Action Coalition and look online to see what people of Nevada are currently doing regarding licensing of Yucca Mountain. ‘ ‘ ‘ What does our governor think about transport of nuclear waste through Pennsylvania? ‘ ‘ ‘ Look at the costs involved and please research the Hanford site … one of many nuclear sacrifice areas. Look at the record of thyroid cancers, etc. in the area. ‘ ‘ ‘ Take a hard look at the powerful companies in this industry and then ask yourself if this is where you want to work. Ann Follette College of General Studies