Mad Mex celebrates 15 spicy years

By Noah Levinson

As of this Sunday, Oakland’s Mad Mex has been operating on Atwood Street for 15 years. That’s 15… As of this Sunday, Oakland’s Mad Mex has been operating on Atwood Street for 15 years. That’s 15 years of food, friends and really, really big margaritas. And instead of drinking and partying the night away, the restaurant is giving back to the community in a delicious way for its anniversary through big Benefit 3. On Sunday, Mad Mex and big Burrito Restaurant Group, Mad Mex’s umbrella organization, will donate all proceeds from dinners to the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank. Pittsburgh’s Mad Mex restaurants are not the only ones contributing, though ‘mdash; the benefit will take place in Philadelphia, State College and Columbus locations, as well. Of course, if you aren’t in the mood for burritos and tacos, other big Burrito restaurants are taking part in the benefit, too. American cuisine establishment Eleven and Kaya, a Caribbean-themed restaurant, both located in the Strip District, and the Mediterranean restaurant Casbah and Asian eatery Soba, both centered in Shadyside, are taking part in the big Benefit 3. All you have to do is go in and order a meal, and then you are automatically helping the local food bank. This event comes at an appropriate time, according to the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank. ‘Food donations are down more than half a million pounds compared to this time last year,’ said food bank public relations coordinator Iris Valanti. ‘Our community friends, like big Burrito, are especially valued.’