Pittsburgh band’s first album is full of pop and fun

By Larissa Gula

‘ ‘ ‘ Has any group ever given you the same peaceful feeling that a sunrise does? ‘ ‘ ‘ Well,… ‘ ‘ ‘ Has any group ever given you the same peaceful feeling that a sunrise does? ‘ ‘ ‘ Well, maybe one has. I haven’t had that joy yet. The Morning Light’s new, self-titled album delivered some strong emotions, but rather than give that peaceful feeling, it inspired a bit of jump in my step. ‘ ‘ ‘ The Morning Light is the epitome of a pop punk album with an emphasis on the pop.’ The songs are light and optimistic songs about love and the many trials and joys that go along with it. ‘ ‘ ‘ The Morning Light is the band’s first full-length release, following an EP and a single, and it sets high expectations for this band in the future. The Morning Light tops the list of bands to watch this year. ‘ ‘ ‘ The band hails from right here in Pittsburgh, where it formed, wrote, recorded and started touring all in less than a year.’ It only took nine months after the band’s first showing in 2007 to sign on with Fearless Records, the home of Plain White T’s and Mayday Parade. ‘ ‘ ‘ The band members and Pittsburgh natives are pianist and vocalist Harrison Wargo, singer Bobby Garver, guitarist Matt Colussy, drummer Nick Baxter and bass player Andrew McDonald. ‘ ‘ ‘ I suppose the first track title of ‘Wake Up!’ and its chorus chant, ‘I’m ready for, I’m ready for the change,’ gives listeners a good idea of what to expect from the rest of the album. ‘ ‘ ‘ Listeners will soon find that the rest of the tracks are all equally lively numbers, just in case song titles like ‘Brand, New, Friends,’ ‘Clouds’ and ‘Happy-Now’ don’t give it away at first glance. ‘ ‘ ‘ The wailing emo-esque vocals don’t bring the tone of the album down at all, much in the style of The All-American Rejects. The lead vocals are backed by plenty of ‘ooohs,’ ‘aaahs’ and ‘hey hey heys.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ The jovial instrumentals provide all the perk The Morning Light needs. Poppy guitar riffs are backed by strong and upbeat drums, and even a little bit of brass instrumentals make their way onto tracks like ‘Done Writing Love Songs.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ The album doesn’t slow down the slightest until the tenth track, ‘This Way,’ which is The Morning Light’s version of a ballad. It’s filled with slow piano and whining guitars, while Garver slowly sings of regret. ‘ ‘ ‘ But have no fear: By the eleventh track the album bounces right back into it’s high-energy pop style in the final track ‘Movin’ Along.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ The Morning Light’s new album is accessible to listeners at all stages of relationships. Regardless of whether you’re heartbroken or just starting your latest fling, The Morning Light has got an upbeat pop song to match your mood. ‘ ‘ ‘ Ponder what went wrong while giving up your past love with ‘Done Writing Love Songs.’ Listen as ‘Virginia’ recalls the awkward beginning of an unsure relationship, and let ‘Brand, New, Friends’ bring a bounce to your step in the midst of breakup and desperation for closure. ‘ ‘ ‘ Each song on this track brings a sense of relation to some event that we all have gone through. But it still leaves the listeners guessing what the band will say next. With its mix of keyboard, guitar, bass and drum, The Morning Light gives the otherwise depressing event the sense of hope. ‘ ‘ ‘ The vibe of the album overall is Panic at the Disco, but I doubt that there’s a music video with people walking with water tanks on their heads in its future. ‘ ‘ ‘ Still, it’s a welcome relief from boys in makeup crying their hearts out and letting mascara run down their cheeks. Let that smile out. Get ready to move along with ‘Movin’ Along.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ The Morning Light’s single ‘Clouds’ sums it up perfectly: ‘Take today and make my way / Through the town, the streets, the pouring rain / ‘Cause some days / It seems like the clouds won’t stay away.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ Celebrate no matter what, folks. It’s better than sulking.