Stull in good health, but center Houser out for year

By Kyle Craig

‘ ‘ ‘ There is a possibility that quarterback Bill Stull will be available to start Saturday… ‘ ‘ ‘ There is a possibility that quarterback Bill Stull will be available to start Saturday when the Panthers travel to Notre Dame. ‘ ‘ ‘ Stull, who needed to be carted off the field during Pitt’s 54-34 loss to Rutgers, has received a more positive medical evaluation than the nature of his departure indicated. After spending Saturday night in the hospital, Stull was released after preliminary tests indicated he suffered a concussion and a ‘stinger’ ‘mdash; and not a severe neck injury. ‘ ‘ ‘ According to Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt, Stull observed practice on Sunday and is having his status closely monitored. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘Everything we’ve received from Billy and everything that we’ve received from the doctors has been nothing but positive,’ said Wannstedt during a Monday press conference. ‘ ‘ ‘ Wannstedt didn’t name a starting quarterback for the Notre Dame game, putting that decision off until later in the week. If Stull is unable to play, sophomore Pat Bostick will start in his place. Changes ‘ ‘ ‘ The quarterback position isn’t the only spot facing the prospect of a new starter. ‘ ‘ ‘ Junior Robb Houser’s season-ending ankle injury leaves the Panthers with a vacancy at center. Early indications were that C.J. Davis would move from left guard to center and fifth-year senior Dominic Williams would take Davis’ spot. ‘ ‘ ‘ But Wannstedt said the depth chart hasn’t been finalized and that the coaching staff is in the process of evaluating the situation. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘We’ll make a determination on what combination of players gives us the best chance to win this week,’ said Wannstedt. ‘As to who is moving where or who is going to move to guard or tackle, it’s too early to talk about that right now.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ While not guaranteeing any specific roster moves, Wannstedt indicated that there might be a shakeup at some other positions. The Panthers could be looking for a new punt returner after current return man and cornerback Aaron Berry fumbled away one of Pitt’s best opportunities for a comeback during last Saturday’s game. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘We’re evaluating that, too,’ said Wannstedt of a possible change in the return game. ‘We’ve definitely put the ball on the ground a few times, and we need to fix that.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ Wannstedt said that cornerback Ricky Gary and safety Elijah Fields will continue to get some playing time on defense after seeing the field briefly against Rutgers. Finding the endzone ‘ ‘ ‘ Few expected last weekend’s contest against Rutgers to become an offensive slugfest. But once the game turned into a shootout, Pitt relied on halfback LeSean McCoy to keep up with the game’s torrid scoring pace. ‘ ‘ ‘ McCoy responded with 180 yards of total offense and a career-high four rushing touchdowns. Now, seven games into the season, McCoy has already matched his rushing touchdown total from last year with 14 scores. ‘ ‘ ‘ Through his 19-game career, McCoy has accumulated 29 total touchdowns, which gives him five more touchdowns than the legendary Tony Dorsett scored in his first two collegiate seasons. Saturday also marked the sophomore tailback’s fourth consecutive game with more than 100 yards rushing. Wannstedt vs. Weis ‘ ‘ ‘ Pitt’s last meeting with Notre Dame was on Sept. 3, 2005, at Heinz Field. The game marked the collegiate head coaching debut of both Dave Wannstedt and Irish coach Charlie Weis. The Panthers entered that contest ranked 23rd in the nation but fell to the unranked Irish, 42-21. ‘ ‘ ‘ Since then, Wannstedt has compiled a record of 21-21 with no bowl appearances. Weis, on the other hand, has a record of 27-17 with two bowl appearances. ‘ ‘ ‘ Both teams enter the game with 5-2 records. Notre Dame is fresh off a victory against a winless Washington team, while Pitt will look to remain undefeated on the road this season and rebound from its homecoming loss to Rutgers. ‘ ‘ ‘ After giving up six passing touchdowns to Rutgers quarterback Mike Teel, the Panthers will face an Irish offense that is ranked 20th in the nation in passing yardage per game. Wannstedt said that he expects Notre Dame to have a balanced attack but added it wouldn’t surprise him if they attempted to air the ball out. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘Notre Dame may throw it 60 times this week … that’s what they’ve been doing,’ said Wannstedt. ‘They have been throwing it, and I think their quarterback is getting better.’