Editorial: Politics in the game

By Pitt News Staff

‘ ‘ ‘ Think you can get away from those annoying television campaign ads by playing video… ‘ ‘ ‘ Think you can get away from those annoying television campaign ads by playing video games? ‘ ‘ ‘ Think again. ‘ ‘ ‘ Sen. Barack Obama is the first presidential candidate to buy ad space inside video games. Eighteen games, including Madden NFL 09 and Guitar Hero 3, contain ads that appear on signs and billboards in the game. When the Xbox 360 console is connected to the Internet, it is updated with new ads and features. ‘ ‘ ‘ The Obama campaign hopes to attract younger voters with the ads. ‘It reaches an audience that is typically hard to reach ‘mdash; young males, roughly 18 to 34,’ Holly Rockwood, a spokeswoman for Electronic Arts, told the London Free Press. ‘ ‘ ‘ In-game advertising is a brand new venue for presidential politics. While the idea of video game ads might seem outrageous at first, the truth is that we have reached an age in technological progress where such ads will quickly become the norm. In-game ads are simply the next step in the natural progression of hi-tech advertising. ‘ ‘ ‘ We are worried, however, that advertisers might get carried away. Will in-game billboard advertising soon lead to actually incorporating candidates into the game? We hope not. For this reason, advertisers should be sure to set limits so that the ads do not go too far. ‘ ‘ ‘ For the most part, however, the ads are a positive step. Through video games, Obama is able to reach a new generation of voters, people who might be casting ballots for the very first time this election. ‘ ‘ ‘ It is unlikely that the ads will make a major impact in swaying voters. ‘ ‘ ‘ Nevertheless, Obama’s decision to take out in-game ads shows that he’s an innovative thinker. When it comes to reaching out to voters and putting himself out there, the Democrat has been exceptionally active. ‘ ‘ ‘ The video game ads are also an appropriate balance to Obama’s recent 30-minute infomercial, which aired on seven network and cable stations on Wednesday. With its segments about health care and the economy, Obama was able to reach older, middle-class Americans. The infomercial proved to be a success, drawing nearly 33.6 million viewers, according to Nielsen Media Research. ‘ ‘ ‘ In the final stretch of the campaign, Obama seems to be the only candidate who is making an effort to reach out to the American people. Sen. John McCain, on the other hand, seems to have disappeared. ‘ ‘ ‘ In all fairness, Obama’s privately funded campaign allows him to take such expensive measures. McCain, whose campaign depends on federal funding, criticized Obama for the ad. ‘When you’re watching this gauzy, feel-good commercial, just remember that it was paid for with broken promises,’ said McCain, according to the Los Angeles Times. ‘ ‘ ‘ But all financial and advertising issues aside, Obama’s enthusiasm far outshines McCain’s. And with the latest polls showing that Obama is ahead or tied in key states, his efforts will hopefully pay off on Election Day.