Professional wardrobe key to interview

By Larissa Gula

Although a stylish outfit alone won’t win over a future employer, it definitely doesn’t hurt. … Although a stylish outfit alone won’t win over a future employer, it definitely doesn’t hurt. Would you hire someone to deal with important customers and represent your company if he walked in for his interview wearing ill-fitting, stained pants, an unbuttoned, un-tucked shirt and messy hair? Probably not. First impressions are important. You may have a killer resume, but if you don’t have the presentation to go along with it, the conversation you have won’t matter much. Do you want your interviewer to be staring in shock at your inappropriate outfit or staring in awe at the intelligent answers you give to his questions? The typical interview dress code is business professional, but this can vary depending on the company and the industry. If it’s a creative field, you may want to look a bit more relaxed so that you don’t seem stuffy. If you’re going the traditional route, here are a few guidelines to help you land your dream job (and look great while doing it). For the gentlemen, business professional entails a suit, dress shirt and matching tie. Dress shoes should match the outfit and be clean and scuff-free.’ And don’t forget to make sure that your socks match, too. When choosing your suit, it’s best to choose conservative colors like black, gray or navy. Steer clear of the color red. It’s pretty bold and is often seen as a ‘power’ color. And remember: no hats, no denim, no sneakers and no sweats, and take it easy on the cologne. Make sure everything fits properly. Tuck in your shirt, and see that it’s neatly pressed for maximum impact. Ah, you look like a CEO already!’ Dressing professionally is a little trickier for women. You don’t want to look frumpy and boring, but you also don’t want to ‘dumb yourself down’ by wearing clothes that are too trendy or sexy. A skirt or pantsuit is a safe bet. And again, wear conservative clothes that come in neutral colors. No bright blue or neon green, please. ‘ ‘ ‘ Underneath your jacket, wear a button-down shirt in a coordinating color or a dressy top with a modest neckline. We know you have goodies, but your interviewer doesn’t need to see them. And watch your skirt length. It should be long enough that you can sit down comfortably in public. You don’t want to send the message that you’ll be using skills other than those listed on your resume to work your way up the corporate ladder.’ Your shoes should be a reasonable height. You shouldn’t look like you’re auditioning to be the sixth Spice Girl. And like your suit, make sure that your footwear is a traditional color and not too flashy. Steer away from glitter, sparkles and excessive jewelry and makeup. Avoid summer attire. Bermuda shorts and flip-flops aren’t suitable for interviews. For the finishing touches, take off your chipped nail polish, carry a nice, matching bag, and wear panty hose. I know, I know. Panty hose are associated with old ladies. Nevertheless, they polish off your look, and the interview will last probably an hour at the most, so it won’t be long before your legs can breathe again. It’s important to feel comfortable and confident when you go into an interview, so make sure that you’re at ease with whatever you decide to wear. If you’re not sure that you can tell what’s appropriate, try calling the company’s Human Resources department and ask for a dress code. When in doubt, overdress. Finally, think of your clothes like you would think of a resume ‘mdash; it just gets you in the door. It’s up to you to let your personality shine through.