Big East bash: Pitt’s struggles begin

By Ben Duignan

When Big East play started for the Pitt men’s soccer team, the players knew it would be an… When Big East play started for the Pitt men’s soccer team, the players knew it would be an uphill battle.’ Encompassing six of the top-25 teams in the nation, the Big East is one of the most competitive conferences in the nation. Pitt began its conference play with an upset over No. 20 Rutgers Sunday, Sept. 21, and followed that win with a heartbreaking double-overtime loss to conference rival Villanova. Nevertheless, Pitt coach Joe Luxbacher’s squad came in focused and determined to face No. 19 South Florida in Tampa Friday night. South Florida 1, Pitt 0 The Bulls scored in the 21st minute with a goal by senior forward Zak Boggs. Boggs finished a cross set up by sophomore midfielder Javier Mohammad. Even though the goal would be the only one scored in the match, the Panthers were outscored in nearly every statistical category.’ Pitt didn’t register a shot on goal until the 87th minute, when sophomore midfielder Justin Boehm took a strike at Bull’s goalkeeper Jeff Attinella. The Panthers were outshot 15-4, including an 8-1 deficit in shots on goal. The loss moved Pitt’s record to 5-3-1 overall and 1-2 in the conference, while the Bulls remained undefeated in Big East play. Luxbacher said he’s looking for more consistent play, while heralding his players’ level of effort on defense. ‘We played solid defense, but we need to create more chances to score,’ said Luxbacher. DePaul 1, Pitt 0 The Panthers continued their competitive Big East campaign against DePaul in Chicago Sunday afternoon. Pitt fell to the Blue Demons as junior defender Erich Reichmann scored the only goal of the game in the 64th minute, putting it past senior goalkeeper Eric Barnes. Once again, Pitt struggled to create opportunities on offense, registering only one shot on goal for the second consecutive game.’ Overall, Pitt was outshot 11-6, and 4-1 with shots on goal.’ Luxbacher said despite losing the games, Barnes has been solid. ‘I’ve really been impressed with our goalkeeper’s play this year,’ said’ Luxbacher of Barnes, who has only allowed six goals in 10 games this season and hasn’t given up more than one goal in a single game. ‘The effort is there, no question about it,’ he added. Luxbacher also stressed the importance of creating more offensive opportunities for the team.’ The loss dropped Pitt to 5-4-1 overall and 1-3 in the Big East. Pitt’s schedule won’t get any easier. The team will face a tough Marquette team at Founders Field Sunday. Marquette is coming off a 2-1 defeat against No. 3-ranked Notre Dame. The Panthers will then travel to Morgantown next Wednesday night for a showdown against archrival West Virginia. ‘It’s going to be an extremely intense and competitive week of practice,’ said Luxbacher. ‘The players [who] are working the hardest and playing the best in practice are going to see the most time in the game against Marquette,’ he added. When asked what word would describe the team’s performance over the past week, Luxbacher was quick to answer. ‘Effort,’ he said. ‘[But] In order to win games, not only does a team need effort, but it needs to make plays. And we’re not making plays.’