Dixon on board through 2015-16

By Mike Gladysz

Pitt men’s basketball coach Jamie Dixon thought he’d have a nice, relaxing day with his wife on… Pitt men’s basketball coach Jamie Dixon thought he’d have a nice, relaxing day with his wife on her birthday. Turns out he had to head to work to discuss something: the three-year contract extension he signed that became official yesterday. His wife likely won’t be too upset. Pitt athletic director Steve Pederson announced yesterday the contract extension, which will keep Dixon on the Pitt sidelines through the 2015-16 season. ‘Jamie did not ask for a contract extension,’ said Pederson during a press conference at the Petersen Events Center. ‘This is the result of our desire to keep this dynamic basketball program on solid footing for years to come.’ Dixon said that Pederson approached him earlier in the month, saying he wanted to keep Dixon on the Pitt sidelines for a while longer. Dixon’s response came quickly. ‘I said ‘OK,’ and we went off to lunch,’ he said. Entering his sixth season as head coach and his 10th season overall, Dixon led Pitt to a 27-10 record and a Big East tournament title last season. Pitt also reached the NCAA Tournament for the seventh consecutive year. That caught Pederson’s attention. ‘In a short time, Jamie has risen to the very top of his profession,’ said Pederson. Still, Dixon said the extension doesn’t alter a whole lot besides job security. ‘It doesn’t really change what we’re trying to do as a team,’ said Dixon. ‘[But] it does mean a lot. They made a tremendous commitment to me.’ With a 132-40 record, Dixon holds the best winning percentage for a Pitt head coach after five years of service. He’s led Pitt to five seasons with 20 or more wins, and he reached 100 victories faster than any coach in school history. Both Pederson and Dixon said they think those numbers will continue to climb. ‘[We] both believe the best days for Pitt basketball lay ahead,’ said Pederson. Dixon said the extension will also help Pitt with recruiting. It also means he won’t have to worry about looking for another job ‘mdash; something college coaches recently have been worrying about more and more. ‘I don’t want to spend my time or energy thinking about the next job or looking for the next job,’ said Dixon. ‘That’s time that can be better spent with the program.’ Pitt lost guards Ronald Ramon and Mike Cook but returns starters Levance Fields, DeJuan Blair and Sam Young. Young, a first-team All-Big East selection last season, opted to return to Pitt after considering entry to the NBA Draft. Pitt’s first practice is scheduled for Friday, Oct. 17. It is set to play its first exhibition game against Seton Hill Nov. 2 at the Petersen Events Center.