Sandwich shops serve up handheld meals

By Kieran Layton

Uncle Sam’s Gourmet Subs 412-621-1885′ ‘ ‘ Monday-Friday 10:30 a.m.-8:30 p.m.; Saturday… Uncle Sam’s Gourmet Subs 412-621-1885’ ‘ ‘ Monday-Friday 10:30 a.m.-8:30 p.m.; Saturday 10:30 a.m.-8 p.m.; Sunday 10:30 a.m.- 6 p.m. 210 Oakland Ave. $$ Panther Funds: Yes ‘ ‘ ‘ Craving those Philly cheesesteaks that seem unreachable in Pittsburgh? Look no further than Uncle Sam’s, where you will get as close to an authentic City of Brotherly Love cheesesteak as you could possibly get at Pitt. The menu is not limited to just cheesesteaks, though here, you can find everything from Italian sausage sandwiches and fresh salads to more interesting between-the-buns fare, such as the vegetarian-friendly Vegetable Florentine sub, with spinach, sweet peppers, onions, tomatoes and melted provolone. ‘ ‘ ‘ The atmosphere is hectic and bustling, as any famed sandwich shop should be. Seating is readily available, though take-out or delivery may be more suitable for those hunger attacks when nothing less would suffice. Be cautious, though: Portions are large, fries are included, and no one leaves Uncle Sam’s hungry. Primanti Bros. 412-621-4444 Monday-Saturday 10 a.m.- 2 a.m.; Sunday 11 a.m.- 12:00 a.m. 3803 Forbes Ave. $$ Panther Funds: No ‘ ‘ ‘ If you’re looking for a Pittsburgh staple, look no farther than Primanti’s. The delectable sandwiches have become so assimilated into Pittsburgh culture, it would be a travesty not to experience the famous mile-high sandwiches at least once. Every sandwich is traditionally topped with steaming-hot fries and tangy coleslaw, and if it sounds unappetizing, don’t knock it until you try it. The roast beef is especially tasty. Throw in a cold beer or a soft drink, and you have one hell of a meal. ‘ ‘ ‘ The restaurant includes plenty of seating and a bar with prime views of televisions that are always tuned to the big games. Come with a big group, relax and prepare to stuff yourself silly with the most famous sandwich cuisine in Pittsburgh. Quiznos 412-683-1177 Monday-Friday 10 a.m.- 10 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday 11 a.m.- 11 p.m. 120 Oakland Ave. $ Panther Funds: Yes ‘ ‘ ‘ A customer favorite, Quiznos is essentially the same as Subway for people, but for people who want that little bit extra in their freshly-toasted, fast-food sandwiches. Its subs are perfectly toasted and quickly prepared, which makes them a prime choice for those in a hurry between classes or during study breaks. The sandwich add-ons are typically as fresh as one could hope for, and that alone sets it a cut above typical fast-food fare. ‘ ‘ ‘ The seating is fairly limited, as is expected from any similar sandwich shop, but most people order their subs to go anyways. Try the prime rib and peppercorn ‘mdash; it’s a classic take on a traditional sandwich, and after a long morning of classes, it is hard to find something that satisfies a particularly juicy sandwich craving. Panera Bread 412-683-3727 Monday-Friday 6 a.m.-9 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday 7 a.m.- 8 p.m. 3800 Forbes Ave. $ Panther Funds: Yes ‘ ‘ ‘ Panera is the quintessential location to bring your laptop around lunchtime and soak up the mellow vibe pervading its baguettes and tasty sandwich creations. The free Wi-Fi makes it the perfect place for students to browse the net while enjoying a tasty creation like the new tomato and mozzarella panini, which is incomparable with its basil and pesto flavorings. ‘ ‘ ‘ As for atmosphere, imagine a Starbucks jacked up on carbs, with more leg room. There is plenty of seating, and in addition to the free Internet access, the bustling atmosphere makes it seem like you are in the midst of a trendy and hip coffee bar (Panera is also known for its scrumptious breakfast choices), while actually sitting in a chain rivaling that infamous coffee giant with which it so successfully competes. Jimmy John’s Gourmet Sandwich Shop 412-681-9010 Monday-Saturday 11 a.m.- 9:30 p.m.; Sunday 11 a.m.- 6 p.m. $$ 3444 Forbes Ave. Panther Funds: Yes ‘ ‘ ‘ Sandwich-lovers across campus flock to Jimmy John’s to indulge in their hugely portioned sub creations. There are enough selections to appease even the most particular of palates, and no one goes through a Jimmy John’s sub still hungry. The Beach Club, with its melding of baked turkey, provolone, avocado and cucumber, brings a taste of California to Pittsburgh, and it shouldn’t be missed. ‘ ‘ ‘ The shop itself is fairly large, with plenty of room to sit down no matter when you order. Take-out and free delivery provide an alternative for those who want to enjoy their sandwiches on the go or in the