Pitt reaches record levels of donations, gifts and pledges

By Drew Singer

‘ ‘ ‘ Pitt is gettin’ paid. ‘ ‘ ‘ In the last year, Pitt raised more money than ever before…. ‘ ‘ ‘ Pitt is gettin’ paid. ‘ ‘ ‘ In the last year, Pitt raised more money than ever before. In a $64 million increase from the 2007 fiscal year, Pitt has raised $183 million in gifts and pledges in 2008, according to a news release issued yesterday. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘Quite clearly, [donors’] well-targeted investments reflect both a strong belief in our mission and confidence that Pitt will continue to be an institution respected for the quality and impact of our work in education, research and public service,’ said Pitt Chancellor Mark Nordenberg in the release. ‘ ‘ ‘ Nordenberg also said that the record-setting levels of donations will make a noticeable impact on campus. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘We are committed to honoring the trust of our donors by building an even stronger university for the countless individuals who do or will depend upon our programs and for the communities that we call home,’ he said. ‘ ‘ ‘ In addition to the record total of gifts and pledges, Pitt also recorded personal bests in terms of actual cash received, $126.8 million, and number of donors in a single year, 50,213. ‘ ‘ ‘ Included in the donations is a $41.3 million commitment from Pitt alumnus and trustee John A. Swanson, for whom the school of Engineering was renamed. Swanson’s donation marked the largest by an individual donor in Pitt’s 221-year history. ‘ ‘ ‘ The new figures raise Pitt’s Building Our Future Together capital campaign fund to $1.273 billion. Thus far, the campaign has yielded 398 newly endowed scholarship funds, 32 newly endowed fellowship funds and 98 newly endowed faculty positions, in addition to other initiatives, the news release said.