McKee building’s secrets revealed

By Jordan Fremuth

‘ ‘ ‘ One cannot help but notice the unusual nature of the two-story compound half a block down… ‘ ‘ ‘ One cannot help but notice the unusual nature of the two-story compound half a block down McKee Place off of Forbes Avenue. ‘ ‘ ‘ Three-foot-high bushes mark the perimeter of this structure. To the left of these bushes is a sign that reads, ‘NO TRESPASSING.’ The building is covered in black, tinted windows, which are separated by long silver beams. Two black, tinted glass doors stand at the center of the building, and mounted surveillance cameras blanket the building’s perimeter. An armed security guard stands just within the doorway.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ This building, at 234 McKee Place, houses the United Jewish Federation. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘One thing we never comment about is our security,’ said Jeff Finkelstein, president and CEO of the federation. ‘That is our policy.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ Though it looks like a fortress, the building is home to a philanthropic organization. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘The United Jewish Federation is the central fundraising and community building organization for the Jewish community of Pittsburgh,’ said Finkelstein. ‘We do offer some programming and direct service to the community, but that is not our primary function.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ One of the federation’s functions is in the area of financial resource development.’ An example of this’ is an annual campaign. Finkelstein said he was quite pleased with the progress they’ve already made for this year’s campaign. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘We just reached our 2008 goal of $12.7 million and are getting ready to embark on our 2009 campaign,’ said Finkelstein. ‘ ‘ ‘ The federation also holds special campaigns to support emergencies ‘mdash; not only in Pittsburgh but also worldwide. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘We’ve raised money in the wake of the war in Israel, the tsunami in Southeast Asia, Hurricane Katrina, now, for Georgia,’ said Finkelstein. ‘ ‘ ‘ Another function of the federation is to hold special events, during which the group gathers people to educate them about particular issues or thank them for support.’ The Sports Nite Out is one example of these events. During this festivity, the federation features a celebrity speaker and holds an auction of sports memorabilia. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘Last year, more than 600 people attended to hear ESPN syndicated broadcaster Mike Greenberg,’ said Finkelstein. ‘ ‘ ‘ In 2009, the federation will host NBC sportscaster Bob Costas. ‘ ‘ ‘ Another function of the federation is in the area of community building.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘We engage a broad representation of volunteers from the community in allocating the funds we raise,’ he said. ‘These funds go to support cultural, educational and human service programs here in Pittsburgh and in Jewish communities around the world.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ The federation is also involved with several other Jewish organizations. The group works in conjunction with the Hillel Jewish University Center, the Jewish Community Center and the Jewish Family and Children’s Services. ‘ ‘ ‘ Perhaps the federation’s most important function is to host programs, which aim to strengthen the Jewish community as well as the entire Pittsburgh community. ‘ ‘ ‘ One of these programs is a community and public affairs commission, which helps to keep the community informed about topical issues as well as getting them involved in advocacy.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ Another such program is the federation’s Mitzvah Day. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘The Hebrew word ‘mitzvah’ refers to a good deed, although that’s not an exact translation,’ said Finkelstein.’ ‘Every Christmas, we send hundreds of volunteers to local hospitals, soup kitchens and other service institutions to fill in so that the regular staff can enjoy their holiday off.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ Finkelstein also said that the federation participates in community-wide programming as well as outreach programs to educate and inform people about Israel and celebrate Israel’s accomplishments.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ The annual Jewish-Israeli Film Festival is another event that the federation helps to coordinate. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘This event features everything from documentaries to comedies produced by Israeli film makers and/or addressing issues related to Judaism, the Holocaust or Israel itself,’ said Finkelstein.