Hawkeyes attempt to prey on Panthers

By Emily Steiner

Coming off a crucial victory against Buffalo two weeks ago, the Pitt football team resumes… Coming off a crucial victory against Buffalo two weeks ago, the Pitt football team resumes action tomorrow at noon at Heinz Field against the Iowa Hawkeyes. Thanks to an off week last weekend, the Panthers (1-1) had plenty of time to prepare for the challenge of facing their only Big Ten opponent of the season. Coach Dave Wannstedt and his staff used the bye week to address fundamentals and other issues that arose in Pitt’s first two games. ‘I believe we had a very beneficial bye week for us,’ said Wannstedt. ‘I’m curious to see how it translates on Saturday. I know that from a coaching perspective, we were able to cover a lot of situations and clean up a lot of things that needed to be addressed.’ ‘Everyone got plenty of work, and hopefully it makes them a little more confident and a little more ready come Saturday.’ But when Iowa’s first-ranked red-zone defense meets Pitt’s first-ranked red-zone efficiency, something has to give. Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz, a graduate of Upper St. Clair High School and a former member of Pitt’s coaching staff, brings a strong defense to Heinz Field. The defense has allowed only 2.67 points per game, and it has not yet allowed a touchdown.’ ‘ The Hawkeyes (3-0) won their first two games by wide margins, beating Maine, 46-3, and Florida International, 42-0, but they have not played away from home this season. In last week’s game against Iowa State, Iowa won the game with two touchdowns in the fourth quarter. Starting quarterback Ricky Stanzi connected on only 5 of 14 passes for 95 yards. He was taken out late in the third quarter and replaced by Jake Christensen, who led the team to its only offensive touchdown, a run by standout Shonn Greene, which gave Iowa the lead at 10-3. Iowa got its final push last week from senior Andy Brodell, who returned a late punt 81 yards for a touchdown, securing the team’s 17-5 victory. Brodell was named Big Ten Player of the Week for his efforts. One of the main things that Pitt needs to worry about going into this game is the sack. Two games into the season, Pitt has been sacked six times, while Iowa has only been sacked twice in three games. With a defense like Iowa’s, the Panthers could see more of the same. ‘There’s no question our offensive line is making a lot of progress, but it’s the little steps and it doesn’t happen as fast as any of us would like it,’ said Wannstedt. ‘We have to keep working at things, and our kids have a fantastic attitude towards it. Every week is a new week, and with it comes a new set of challenges. As communication and skill becomes better, so will our offense.’ Another thing to watch for is early scoring. The Hawkeyes have scored on their opening possessions in all three games this season, while none of their opponents has. Wannstedt knows it’s important. ‘For our offense, I think it’s important from a confidence standpoint,’ said Wannstedt. ‘I think we’ve done some good things and had some nice drives, and we have to go out and do it again against a team like Iowa.’ The Hawkeyes have beaten up on opponents of lesser quality so far in 2008, but Wannstedt believes a very good team faces Pitt tomorrow. ‘Iowa plays well on all three phases,’ said Wannstedt. ‘Their defense hasn’t given up a touchdown thus far this year, and I can tell you that with a lot of experience, that accomplishing that feat is a difficult thing to do regardless of who you’re playing or when you’re playing.’ ‘When you look at their offense, they’re balanced. Obviously, they’re 3-0 and have a lot of confidence right now, and with that being said, I think this will be a good challenge for our football team, and we’re looking forward to it.’