Cymbeline blends technology and nature

By Giles Howard

When most people think Shakespeare, they think of ‘Romeo and Juliet,’ ‘The Merchant of… When most people think Shakespeare, they think of ‘Romeo and Juliet,’ ‘The Merchant of Venice’ or ‘Macbeth.’ They don’t think of ‘Cymbeline,’ a Shakespearean play alternately classified as a tragedy, romance or comedy loosely based on the life of a first-century British king.

But Karla Boos isn’t most people.

Boos, director of Quantum Theatre’s production of ‘Cymbeline,’ has wanted to produce the play for a long time, and after directing ‘Richard II’ in 2004, she decided that ‘Cymbeline’ would be the next work of Shakespeare she directed.

‘I’ve loved ‘Cymbeline’ for a long time,’ said Boos.

But when asked why she decided to do ‘Cymbeline’ now, Boos was vague except for the fact that it had nothing to do with anything going on in the world today.

‘My decisions to do things are personal,’ said Boos.

Although the decision to direct ‘Cymbeline’ was a personal one, it will be performed in the very public venue of Mellon Park. The fact that this is Pittsburgh’s 250th anniversary was an important factor in deciding to hold the performance in Mellon Park, Boos said.

She also emphasized that it’s important to perform the play in a natural setting because ‘[‘Cymbeline’s’] about journeys through the natural world.’

The play might be about such natural journeys, but that didn’t stop Boos from working with The Robotics Institute of Carnegie Mellon to incorporate technology into a play based on first-century Britain.

‘[The Robotics Institute] wanted to provide some technology that would allow artists to go to a different place,’ said Boos. She wouldn’t elaborate except to say that the technology is used in such a way as to control the audience.

But incorporating modern technology into a first century tale isn’t the only way Boos puts her own twist on the performance of ‘Cymbeline.’

While the play includes a large cast of characters, Quantum Theatre will be performing it with only six actors and one actress. This requires actors to play multiple parts, which Boos says illustrates how ‘everybody’s flawed.’

‘It’s sort of an expression of what I think is a machine aspect of ‘Cymbeline,” said Boos.

Boos also weighed in on the 400-year-old question of just what sort of a play ‘Cymbeline’ is.

‘The play is not a tragedy,’ she said.

To Boos, ‘Cymbeline’ is clearly a comedy because simply put, ‘it makes people laugh.’

‘Cymbeline’ might make the audience laugh, but Boos’ original additions, such as the use of robotics, might also surprise them.

‘My ‘Cymbeline’ is unusually conceived,’ she said.

Quantum Theatre will be performing ‘Cymbeline’ outdoors at Mellon Park in Point Breeze from July 31 to Aug. 24.