Letter to the editor, 9/2/08

By Jacob Brown

Dear Editor: ‘ ‘ ‘ The Pitt football team walked into the preseason with ‘Prove It’ smeared… Dear Editor: ‘ ‘ ‘ The Pitt football team walked into the preseason with ‘Prove It’ smeared across their T-shirts. Indeed, after Pitt’s amazing upset of West Virgina last December, the team had something to prove: They weren’t a fluke and just gave the Big East a reason to be fearful in competition throughout the next year. ‘ ‘ ‘ Unfortunately, the only thing they proved is that anyone who ordered the $25 season tickets should demand a refund. I love my school, and I believe that we consistently cultivate talent in both the classroom and on the field. But this is ridiculous. ‘ ‘ ‘ Dave Wannstedt’s best attribute he brings as coach of our football team is that he has a knack for recruiting some of the best players in the nation, year after year. But if you can’t capitalize on that talent, what’s the point? ‘ ‘ ‘ I was planning on inviting a friend from Bowling Green to spend the weekend here while he witnessed the utter destruction of his school’s football team, but now I’m glad I didn’t. ‘ ‘ ‘ Our sports dollars and tuition money go toward paying Wannstedt’s salary, yet every year ‘mdash; with amazing talent ‘mdash; we’re always ‘rebuilding.’ There’s no excuse this time with an experienced lineup. It’s time to find a new coach. Jacob Brown Class of 2010