Tossing playoff memories behind, Steelers look ahead

By Randy Lieberman

The Pittsburgh Steelers’ 2007 season didn’t turn out exactly how they wanted it to. But given… The Pittsburgh Steelers’ 2007 season didn’t turn out exactly how they wanted it to. But given a few changed plays, it sure could have.

The Steelers looked poised to scrape out a wild, come-from-behind victory in the AFC Wild Card game against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

The Jags faced a two-point deficit, a rejuvenated Steeler defense and a fourth-and-2 on the Steelers’ 43-yard line in the fourth quarter.

All of a sudden, Jags quarterback David Garrard took the snap and tore through a swarming pack of Steelers’ defenders, breaking into the clear. People could hear the ‘Chariots of Fire’ theme playing in the background as Garrard broadly strode down the middle of the field for a 32-yard gain.

The scramble gave the Jags a first down at the Steelers’ 11-yard line. After some short running plays, Josh Scobee kicked a 25-yard field goal to give the Jags a 31-29 lead with 40 seconds left in the game.

Steelers’ kicker Jeff Reed said it was tough to see.

‘It was a sickening feeling,’ said Reed.

‘Scobee is a good kicker and it was a crummy day, so we were praying for a good outcome in our favor. The whole game, we didn’t play up to our potential.’

The Steelers finished their season losing five of their last eight games after starting the year 7-2. All but one of their seven losses was by a seven-point margin or less.

‘Balls just didn’t bounce our way, that’s just the way it is,’ said Reed. ‘Our special teams kind of let the team down at times.’

And heading into the offseason, there were a few things coach Mike Tomlin and the rest of the front office needed to address.

First, the Steelers locked up quarterback Ben Roethlisberger with an eight-year, $102 million contract extension. His QB rating of 104.1 was second only to the New England Patriots’ quarterback Tom Brady last season, meaning Roethlisberger earned the raise.

Second, the offensive line was an area in which help was needed. Roethlisberger was sacked 47 times last season, which was the second most in the league. But rather than whitewash the offensive line, Tomlin and the Steelers decided to surround Roethlisberger with more weapons and change their scheme.

With this in mind, the Steelers took running back Rashard Mendenhall in the first round and wide receiver Limas Sweed in the second round.

Some criticized the decision. But the Steelers’ running game was effective when they had a big, bruising back to wear down defenses until ‘Fast’ Willie Parker could explode for a big play. Exit Jerome Bettis, enter Mendenhall.

Parker’s wheels burnt out late last season, and he eventually suffered a season-ending broken right fibula early in a game against the St. Louis Rams in Week 16. As evident from last year’s late-season rushing plunge with Najeh Davenport at the helm, the Steelers cannot afford to have Parker on the sidelines this year.

Roethlisberger got his wish for a tall receiver with the 6-foot-4-inch Sweed. Still, scouts have some doubts about Sweed, specifically about his durability. He is coming off a wrist injury that ended his senior year at Texas, so all evaluations come from his junior year. When healthy, Sweed is a phenomenal talent possessing the rare combination of size and 4.5 40-speed with good hands.

The Steelers added free-agent center Justin Hartwig this offseason. The seven-year veteran should challenge the incumbent Sean Mahan for playing time at center.

The schematic changes on offense should help the offensive line as well. Tomlin admitted he will be switching to more single-back and dual-back sets this year, with Mendenhall joining Parker in the backfield. Roethlisberger will be lining up with Holmes, Ward, Parker, Mendenhall and tight end Heath Miller, all on the field at once. Throw in red-zone threats Sweed and tight end Matt Spaeth, and this Steelers offense has a chance to explode.

It is up to Chris Kemoeatu to fill the large void left by Pro-Bowl left guard Alan Faneca this season. Faneca took the money and ran this offseason, signing a five-year contract with the New York Jets worth $40 million.

On the defensive side, there are not many changes. Lamaar Woodley should replace the departed Clark Haggans at left outside linebacker. James Harrison’s breakout year last year should force teams to block Harrison’s side, drawing protection away from Woodley.

Starting inside linebacker Larry Foote’s days might be numbered with former first-round pick Lawrence Timmons breathing down his neck. Foote holds the job for the moment, but one has to think Timmons will get his shot this year. Rookie outside linebacker Bruce Davis could also be in the mix at either outside spots.

The rest of the defense will look the same as last year’s squad. Defensive end Aaron Smith will be healthy after tearing his biceps late last season and could provide a huge boost to the defensive line. The only notable position battle will be at free safety, where Ryan Clark and Anthony Smith are in a deadlock for the starting job.

The abysmal special teams last year benefit from having the consistent Reed back this year. He defeated the dreaded Heinz Field jinx on kickers last year, missing only two field goals. The Steelers suffered a setback with the season-ending knee injury to second-year punter Daniel Sepulveda. The Steelers were counting on him to improve, but they will make do with veteran Paul Ernster.

‘He’s a class act as a person and a player,’ Reed said of Sepulveda. ‘I’m going to miss him as my holder, but there are guys who can get the job done.’

The return game is a little bit cloudier. Allen Rossum took care of the returning duties last season, but he struggled and was released earlier this year. Holmes, new running back Mewelde Moore, wide receiver Jeremy Bloom and Willie Reid have fielded punts in practice. The same players, minus Holmes but with Mendenhall, have all fielded kickoffs as well. The Steelers just signed return specialist Eddie Drummond, as well.

Whoever fields the kicks, it should be a solid upgrade from the Rossum and Davenport combination last year.

The Steelers do have the most difficult NFL schedule based on 2007 results. Add that to the recent trend in sophomore slumps for new head coaches, and the Steelers are already facing an uphill battle even before playing a game.

Until then, fans will just have to wait and see.