Cash rules everything around students

By Shane Levy

Throughout recent U.S. history, many have maintained the belief that the American youth are an… Throughout recent U.S. history, many have maintained the belief that the American youth are an apathetic demographic that does not truly care about the political direction that the United States takes. Although that notion is surely a controversial one, as the American youth have often been at the forefront of many of the most significant social and political movements during the 20th and 21st centuries, perhaps that widespread belief can be attributed to another critical part of the United States: the economy.

During the late 20th century, one of the greatest hip-hop groups ever assembled, the Wu Tang Clan, released a track that propelled them to stardom. ‘C.R.E.A.M.,’ or ‘Cash Rules Everything Around Me,’ was the track that raised the Wu Tang Clan to iconic status in the hip-hop community. The song was and continues to be one of the most popular tracks in hip-hop, a culture largely populated by the American youth.

It seems, though, that those youth have yet to realize the significance of the message behind the track’s name: the all-important role that the economy plays in not only the United States but also the international community.

Despite being old enough and mature enough to manage the daily routines of our own lives, many college students are unaware and uninformed of economic markets. Economics is often an overlooked topic for most college-aged students for numerous reasons.

Although many college students maintain jobs during the school year and the summer, much of the money that is accumulated through such jobs is often immediately translated into tuition, books, rent and other items and liabilities of the sort. Rarely is any money that is made through summer jobs and part-time jobs invested in any sort of stock or bond. Accordingly, the inability for many young people to be directly involved in the markets turns them away from the sector entirely.

Despite not being ‘real’ members of society who bring in consistent income necessary to be involved in the investment markets, an interesting phenomenon has occurred throughout the past six months.

In March 2008, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported that the economy had replaced the war in Iraq as the most important issue in the 2008 presidential election. Although the American youth were previously perceived as being disconnected from the U.S. economy, it appears that many young Americans, including myself, share much of the same sentiments and concerns that older, working Americans hold.

With increasing prices in food, gas and energy, cause for concern appears to be very high with an age group that generates no real income. Not only because those increased prices will take away from money available for spending, but because it appears that the current economic recession — and yes, it is a recession — might affect the availability of jobs and housing, as well as opportunities for economic growth post-graduation.

As commodity prices continue to skyrocket and the economy continues its decimating downward spiral, questions arise as to how the current economic status in the United States will affect the presidential election in the fall. Ultimately, it is clear that the economic conditions that the United States is currently experiencing cannot continue.

Yet as the polls tighten between senators John McCain and Barack Obama for front-runner status, there appears to be uncertainty whether the economic funk that we are currently experiencing will end soon or will continue through the next four years.

In the Post-Gazette’s report, the majority of the young Americans interviewed stated that they disagreed with and were upset by the economic policies of the Bush administration. Yet what might be more upsetting and unsettling is that those economic policies, which directly contributed to the recession we are all unfortunately experiencing, will be perpetuated under a conservative administration.

Although nothing is certain until November when the election takes place, the result of the presidential election will surely reflect whether young Americans truly understand the importance of the fact that ‘Cash Rules Everything Around Me.’ Will they vote to make the appropriate changes in order to stimulate the U.S. economy, or will they vote to continue and potentially exacerbate the current economic recession?

E-mail Shane at [email protected].