Dream ends for young Pens, look to next year

By Jay Huerbin

Despite fighting to the final minute, the Pittsburgh Penguins failed in their attempt to bring… Despite fighting to the final minute, the Pittsburgh Penguins failed in their attempt to bring the Stanley Cup back to the city for the first time since 1992, losing Game 6 of the finals to the Detroit Red Wings, 3-2.

Even within the friendly confines of the Mellon Arena, the Penguins fell behind 2-0 to Detroit before Evgeni Malkin notched his first goal of the series. Detroit added another goal early in the third period.

Marian Hossa scored late in the third period to bring the deficit to one, but last-ditch efforts by Sidney Crosby and Hossa to tie the game in the waning seconds were squelched by Red Wing goalie Chris Osgood.

Detroit won the series, 4-2. For the final time this season, our Penguins experts tackle all the questions.

-What was the single most important failure for the Penguins in Game 6?

Jay Huerbin: The Penguins were not able to capitalize on their chances when they needed to. All through that game, I had flashbacks of when Petr Sykora missed a golden opportunity in the opening minutes. The players were into the game, the fans were into the game, and momentum was with the Penguins. A goal by Sykora there would have lifted the roof off of Mellon Arena.

Nick LaMantia: Throughout the entire series, including Game 6, the Penguins failed to generate enough quality scoring chances on Osgood. At times they tried to make the pretty too often, which led to turnovers and Detroit scoring chances.

-Which Penguin impressed you the most in the series?

JH: Brooks Orpik, whose solid season earned him some top minutes, had a phenomenal playoff run, and he really shined in the finals. He was a physical force. I dare you to go back and watch highlights of Game 3 and not get goosebumps when Orpik dishes out four checks in 15 seconds. He raised his game to another level this year, and we can only hope general manager Ray Shero can sign him this offseason.

NL: The play of Adam Hall surprised me. He came out of nowhere to contribute some important goals during the series, which is what you need from your grinders in a long playoff series.

-Hossa, Orpik and Ryan Malone are free agents, while Malkin, Marc-Andre Fleury and Jordan Staal might demand extensions. What should the Pens do entering next year?

JH: The simple answer would be to sign them all. We’ll soon find out how feasible that is. Hossa has already said he was happy that Shero got him to Pittsburgh and would be willing to take less money to stay on a good team.

Both Orpik’s and Malone’s stock soared high this year, and each could easily ask for a big raise. It’s all going to come down to whether or not these players will take that hometown discount (Malone especially). I could write a whole other column about how it’s possible to keep most of the team together next season.

Crosby set a bar last offseason to keep the players together. Will his teammates follow in his footsteps?

NL:Priority No.1 should be resigning Fleury before July 1 to ensure nobody offers him a tender. Next in line is deciding between Hossa and Malone.

Malone brings some intangibles that you rarely see, but someone will definitely overpay for a power forward such as him.

Hossa has stated that he is willing to take less money to play on a good team, so here’s to hoping. Malkin will be extended this offseason, but I would expect Staal’s camp to wait until next year after Staal’s down regular season.

As for Orpik, he could command upward of $3 million per season, putting him out of the Penguins’ budget.

-Should coach Michel Therrien’s contract be extended as well?

JH: He still has another season left under his current contract, but even after two and half seasons, I can’t seem to figure Therrien out. He juggled his lines so much in the 2006-07 season that you never knew who was playing where. He settled things down this past season, and it showed when lines like the Malone-Malkin-Sykora one dominated. Now I just need to figure out if this team is successful because of the coach, the players or a little bit of both. But whatever it is, it’s working, and don’t fix what isn’t broken. Extend his contract.

NL: Therrien’s contract is up next season, and with the team’s rapid improvement during his tenure and his close connection with the players, they should offer him two more years after next.