SGB unleashes panther statues

By DREW SINGER

After months of anticipation, outgoing Student Government Board president Shady Henien led a… After months of anticipation, outgoing Student Government Board president Shady Henien led a ceremony last night unveiling the 10 panther statues decorated by various student organizations.

“We all share a common thread that cannot be woven by or appreciated by any other learning institution in the nation,” Henien said. “The SGB wanted to instill a constant level of pride on campus that has never been seen or felt before by this university.”

Henien, along with the rest of the 2007 SGB, began last year seeking out a new homecoming tradition to bring to campus. When the idea of a homecoming parade fell through due to logistical issues, traditions chairwoman Amanda Satryan came up with the idea for the statues.

Satryan decided to give the different statues to various student groups around campus, both big and small.

“It allows groups who fly under the radar to get their name out there,” Satryan said.

Chancellor Mark Nordenberg also spoke at the ceremony.

“I wasn’t sure what to expect,” Nordenberg said of the statues, “but the turnout is terrific and obviously some creative thought went into the design of the panthers. They look really good.”

The praise the project received comes after months of controversy, starting with SGB’s vote to approve the project, which was split three to three – Henien voted to break the tie and enact the $60,000 Paint the Panther project.

Criticism of the project continued when production delays from their Canadian manufacturer prevented the six-foot-tall fiberglass statues from arriving in time for homecoming.

Despite disapproval from some board members and students, Henien remained steadfast.

Henien said he would not do anything differently if he had to do it all over.

“This is our baby,” he said. “I love it.

Dean of Students Kathy Humphrey also addressed those in attendance and spoke in support of Henien’s tenacity.

“As a leader, sometimes you have to stand alone to make a difference,” Humphrey said.

To those still unsure of whether the project was worth the price tag, Henien asked that they observe patiently.

“The success of this tradition will not be judged by today’s unveiling of the completed statues or by tomorrow’s placement of the statues, but by the test of time,” he said.

Nordenberg also endorsed the project’s potential for longevity.

“We hope that this tradition will become an important and long lasting part of campus life,” Nordenberg said.

After reviewing 26 applications from different student organizations, an SGB-created selection committee gave the statues to a smorgasbord of organizations.

Pathfinders, the Premedical Organization for Minority Students, Tau Beta Sigma (a band sorority), The Pitt News, Pitt’s chapter of the American Chemical Society, the Panther Psychology Club, Black Action Society and SGB themselves made the final cut.

Inter-Fraternity Council, the National Pan-Hellenic Council and the National Panhellenic Association teamed up to decorate one of the statues. Panthers for Israel, Hillel, the Muslim Students Association and the Saudi Student House also worked together on a panther.

Humphrey was pleased with the results of the project.

“I think the students in general did a wonderful job,” she said. “I think they put a lot of themselves in it, and I believe that it’s the way for a student organization to show their pride for Pitt. It’s a lot of fun.”