SGB panther statues to be unveiled in ceremony tonight

By DREW SINGER

The Student Government Board tonight will wrap up what was certainly the most controversial… The Student Government Board tonight will wrap up what was certainly the most controversial project of its term by unveiling 10 fully decorated fiberglass panther statues.

The statues, which cost students $60,000, have caused controversy since their approval this past summer, when the vote to approve them was split three to three and President Shady Henien cast a tie-breaking vote to initiate the project.

Since then, the project – originally scheduled to coincide with last fall’s homecoming festivities – has faced numerous delays and has received mixed feedback from board members and students alike.

“I think any negativity that might be coming from this is because it’s a brand new idea,” Pitt Pathfinder Jerry May said.

“There have been some bumps along the way because it was the first time it has been done. But hopefully over time the bumps will smooth out and it will be a great thing for the campus.

“I hope that this is something we just all take for granted in a few years,” he said.

May’s Pathfinders, along with nine other student organizations each received one of the 10-foot statues to decorate as part of “a new tradition,” as Henien called it.

The plan calls for the statues to be redistributed and redecorated annually for homecoming.

“Obviously, the challenge of painting has been hard,” Henien said as he – along with outgoing board member Jim Priestas – put the final touches on SGB’s statue.

“I’m very proud of all of the devotion all the organizations have put towards the process to make sure it’s a success this year,” he said.

Henien, along with Dean of Students Kathy Humphrey and Chancellor Mark Nordenberg, will speak at the 5 p.m. unveiling ceremony in the Conney M. Kimbo Art Gallery, located on the main floor of the William Pitt Union.

Premedical Organization for Minority Students President Travis Hamilton said he thinks the statue project will bring students together.

“It establishes a strong sense of community for the premedical organization,” he said. “In the premedical community, there is a lot of competition, so this is a great opportunity to come together and do something fun that can give back to Pitt.”

POMS painted its panther with flags of the many countries from which the organization’s members hail and then dressed it with a lab coat and stethoscope.

In addition to SGB, Pathfinders and POMS, the SGB-created selection committee also awarded statues to Tau Beta Sigma (a band sorority), The Pitt News, Pitt’s chapter of the American Chemical Society, the Panther Psychology Club and Black Action Society.

The Inter-Fraternity Council, the National Pan-Hellenic Council and the National Panhellenic Association will combine to decorate one of the statues.

Panthers for Israel, Hillel, the Muslim Students Association and the Saudi Student House will work together to create a statue, as well.

In all, 26 student organizations applied to decorate a panther.

The unveiling will be followed by the inauguration of the 2008 SGB in Nordy’s Place, located on the ground floor of the William Pitt Union.