Weaver put others before self

By LEIGH REMIZOWSKI

Kristen Weaver wanted to save the world.

“She wanted to help people who had lost their… Kristen Weaver wanted to save the world.

“She wanted to help people who had lost their way in the world,” Pitt student Kiersten Pennington said.

And it was widely known among her friends that she would never turn away someone in need.

“If she had one problem, it was that she didn’t care enough about herself. She always put everyone else’s problems before her own, no matter how small or insignificant, and was always there to try and cheer you up,” Pitt student Jim Buckley said.

According to friends, Weaver, a Pitt junior, died of a drug overdose Saturday night.

The Allegheny County Medical Examiner’s Office said it will not have the results of an autopsy for several weeks.

“She died tragically, but I know she was a really good person,” Pitt student Jessica Kobler said.

Weaver was originally from Yardley, Pa., and her family recently moved to Glen Cove, N.Y. She was born on June 7, 1987.

“If I could describe her in one word, it would be fantastic,” Pennington said.

Weaver’s presence was always known when she walked into a room, and the number of people who called her a friend spoke to this.

“Weaver would talk to anybody,” Pitt student Noah Bane said. “Whether it was a homeless person off the street or the richest person in America – she was comfortable talking to anybody about anything.”

He and Weaver had a weekly tradition of going to Gullifty’s in Squirrel Hill to listen to jazz.

“She would always have to get a big slice of apple pie,” Bane said.

Bane, who attended the same high school as Weaver, remembers enjoying her easygoing personality but could never understand one of her loves – ’80s music.

“She loved it,” he said, laughing. “I never got it, but she loved ’80s music.”

One of her favorite songs was “She’s Got a Way,” by Billy Joel.

“I’m convinced it was written about her,” Buckley said. “Everything about her was beautiful.” Weaver was also an avid photographer and reader and was known by friends for her high school love of swimming and diving.

But her biggest love was her friends – she was never too busy to make time for them.

“She was the type of person who could flash you a smile and make you forget about whatever was troubling you,” Buckley said. “I know it’s cheesy, but she was all about cheese.”

Bane remembers calling on Weaver whenever he had a problem because she always offered him undivided attention.

“If I went off for a long time, she wouldn’t say a word,” Bane said. “She was a great listener.”

And that was her passion, according to friends – being with the people she loved.

During Weaver’s freshman year she lived in Forbes Hall, where she first met several of the people that became close to her at Pitt. She consequently spent a vast amount of her time on the dorm’s patio – known to residents as Forbes Patio – simply hanging out with her friends.

“I love Kristen with every inch of me,” Buckley said. “And I know she’s out there watching over myself and those she loved.”