Cook and Fields suffer bad injuries over winter break

By JEFF GREER

Pitt basketball suffered two devastating injuries in a nine-day span.

In the midst of one… Pitt basketball suffered two devastating injuries in a nine-day span.

In the midst of one of Pitt’s biggest wins in its regular-season history, a 65-64 overtime win over Duke at Madison Square Garden, small forward Mike Cook tore the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in his left knee. Cook also suffered a medial and lateral meniscial tear.

Nine days later, with Pitt attempting to comeback against a feisty Dayton team, point guard Levance Fields fractured the fifth metatarsal in his left foot. While Cook’s injury is season-ending, and possibly career-ending, Fields is expected to come back in eight to 12 weeks.

Cook’s injury shocked the team’s psyche after its huge non-conference win. The 6-foot-4 senior might be able to appeal for a medical redshirt.

“We are thoroughly heartbroken for Mike,” Pitt coach Jamie Dixon said. “He has grown into a leader, has become an outstanding example for the younger players in our program, and we will continue to count on his leadership throughout the year.”

Fields, one of Cook’s best friends on the team, inspired Pitt with a step back 3-pointer to help the Panthers complete a comeback against Duke.

But Fields, who is Pitt’s energizer and leader, fell to injury just days later after landing awkwardly after a layup. The 5-10 junior appeared to slip on a Dayton cheerleader’s foot behind him.

The fifth metatarsal is a small bone in the flat part of the foot. It’s difficult to come back quickly, without trouble, from a broken or fractured fifth metatarsal because of the pressure put on the foot, especially by a collegiate athlete.

“We expect [Levance] to make a full recovery and return sometime later in the season,” Dixon said.