Panthers win five in a row over holiday break

By LAUREN MYLO

After 10 days off, Pitt women’s basketball dominated its opponents during winter break. … After 10 days off, Pitt women’s basketball dominated its opponents during winter break.

First, the Panthers knocked off both California Polytechnic and Duquesne. Next, they traveled to New York for the Wagner Holiday Classic, where they triumphed over opponents James Madison and Wagner.

They opened Big East play yesterday against DePaul and kicked off their regular season with another win.

Pitt 97, DePaul 68

After its strong non-conference winning stretch, Pitt had no fear when it traveled to No. 15-ranked DePaul to start Big East play.

Pitt shot 50 percent in yesterday’s game and made all 25 of its free throws. Shavonte Zellous scored a career-high 31 points. Marcedes Walker finished with 15 points and 12 rebounds.

“This was a great game for the Pitt program,” coach Agnus Berenato said on PittsburghPanthers.com.

“This game is a sign of things to come, and I was so proud of the team from the tip-off. We played smart, and we played with emotion the entire game.

The Big East is a battle day in and day out, and we are thrilled to come out of here with a great victory.”

Pitt 85, Wagner 41

Conquering the home team as well as the tournament, Pitt took an easy win over Wagner last Sunday to finish out its run in the Wagner Holiday Classic.

After forcing 25 turnovers and holding its opponent to just 14 points in the first half – a Panthers record since last February – Pitt also tied its season-high 21 assists.

Freshman Taneisha Harrison led the way with a career-high 23 points.

“I think [Harrison] played great,” Berenato said on PittsburghPanthers.com.

“I told her before the game that she needed to get a double-double today, but she was all over the place and on the floor hustling as much as she was running the court. She is pushing our starters right now, and a good team gets better when the bench players push the starters for their jobs.” Shavonte Zellous also added 20 points.

Pitt 69, James Madison 61

In its first close match of the holidays, Pitt trumped James Madison at the Wagner Holiday Classic in Staten Island, N.Y., just before the New Year.

Zellous led the team with 26 points. Walker added 13 points and 14 rebounds.

The game saw 10 lead changes with James Madison ahead, 35-33, at the half.

“This was by far our best effort of the year,” Berenato said on PittsburghPanthers.com. “James Madison is a heck of a team. I am excited. This was a great environment and just a great team victory for Pitt.”

Pitt 72, Duquesne 54

In a hometown battle, Pitt trounced Duquesne, 72-54, on Dec. 22.

In the first half, the Panthers held the Dukes to 16 points, allowing them to get close only once early on when they closed Pitt’s lead to 10-8.

“This was a really good competition,” Berenato said on PittsburghPanthers.com. “Whenever hometown pride is on the line you know it’s going to be a battle. Both teams were sitting on seven wins, and we both desperately wanted to get to eight. The holidays are a lot better after a win.”

Of the Panthers’ 72 points, Zellous netted a game-high 23. Walker had 19 points and 14 rebounds, putting her 48 rebounds shy of the 1,000 mark.

“Rebounding is what I do. Every game I stress going to the boards and getting after the ball,” Walker said on PittsburghPanthers.com.

Pitt 83, Cal Poly 58

In an 83-58 win at home, Pitt’s shooting game proved to be right on target against Cal Poly on Dec. 18.

Upping their free throw accuracy, the Panthers made 10 out of 11 foul shots.

Sophomore guard Jania Sims tied her career-high points with 17 and went 2 for 2 from 3-point range. Junior Sylvie Tafen also tied her career-high of 10 points, as did Sophronia Sallard.

“We were coming off a tough loss to Duke, but losses like that can either make you better or they can make bitter, and I think this one made us better,” Pitt coach Agnus Berenato said on PittsburghPanthers.com. “This is a great win.”

Walker led both teams with 20 points, scoring 18 in the first 20 minutes.

Pitt shot 53 percent, and held Cal Poly to 34.9 percent.

Walker came into the game having just been named to the Naismith Trophy watch list, which consists of the 50 best basketball players in the country. She is nearing a Pitt benchmark of 1,000 career points and rebounds and would only be the second player to reach that mark.

“It’s a great honor to be named to the list,” Walker said on PittsburghPanthers.com.

“However, I really want to dedicate the achievement to my coaches and teammates who pushed me to get better. They’re the reason I’m getting these kinds of accolades.”