Folk society brings strings

By COLLEEN SEIDEL

Alejandro Escovedo String Quintet Presented by Calliope Dec. 8 8 p.m. Carnegie Lecture… Alejandro Escovedo String Quintet Presented by Calliope Dec. 8 8 p.m. Carnegie Lecture Hall 412-394-3353.

Amidst the endless fa-la-las of the holiday concert season, it’s refreshing to hear a little alt-country-inspired classical avant-garde come to Pittsburgh this time of year, courtesy of the Alejandro Escovedo String Quintet.

Calliope: The Pittsburgh Folk Music Society is bringing the refreshing sound of classic quintet with a new twist to Oakland’s Carnegie Lecture Hall this Saturday at 8 p.m.

Known for his equally deep, emotional and versatile musical stylings, Escovedo has witnessed a career amassed with critical praise and personal struggle.

After short-lived stints in San Francisco-based bands The Nuns and True Believers, Escovedo released his solo debut in 1992. The album, Gravity, was praised as stunningly original by critics. In 2000, Escovedo premiered “By the Hand of the Father,” a stage production based on songs about his father, with the LA theater company, About Productions.

Escovedo is currently touring with his quintet to support his most recent release, The Boxing Mirror. The disc, his seventh, is produced by legendary Velvet Underground producer John Cale.

Despite his career success, Escovedo has had his share of personal hardship. The artist was diagnosed with Hepatitis-C in the late 1990s and almost died from the disease in 2003.

A benefit effort was started on the musician’s behalf, including the album Por Vida: A Tribute to the Songs of Alejandro Escovedo. The disc features covers of Escovedo’s best known works by such artists as Lucinda Williams, The Jayhawks and Charlie Sexton. Escovedo recovered from his life-threatening battle with the illness and has been touring extensively since.

Tickets to see the inspiring musician with his set of strings are available through ProArts Ticket Service. Of that note, student rush seats are $18, but all pricing is available online.