Dukes have come long way in only one year

By JEFF GREER

It was just more than a year ago that the news of shootings on Duquesne’s Downtown campus… It was just more than a year ago that the news of shootings on Duquesne’s Downtown campus rippled through Pittsburgh. Five Duquesne basketball players sustained bullet wounds from the incident. Two of them were seriously hurt.

The most critically wounded, forward Sam Ashaolu, had bullet fragments lodged in his head. He surprisingly showed up to practice on Oct. 30, 2006, about six weeks after the shootings. He stunned his teammates and coaches.

“I was shocked to see him,” Duquesne coach Ron Everhart told the Associated Press that day. “What an uplifting and motivating experience to have him there.”

Stuard Baldonado, Shawn James and Kojo Mensah each had bullet wounds of their own. Baldonado had wounds on his back and arm. James had a bullet lodged in his foot. Mensah wore a brace to protect the arm that had been shot.

The shootings put Duquesne at a disadvantage last season, but the Dukes fought to a respectable 10-19 record. Everhart introduced an entertaining new style of play, one that runs 10 players in waves and overwhelms unsuspecting or unprepared opponents. It involves two rotations of five players, who substitute in every three to four minutes, all at once. The idea is running a team ragged and beating them in the final minutes with constant ball pressure and an attacking offense.

Niagara coach Joe Mihalich said it’s the type of system that you can scout and prepare for, but in the end, you have to just fight through it when you play the game.

It’s caught the attention of Pittsburghers. Now, at 6-1, the Dukes receive credit as a potential NCAA Tournament team. If anything, Duquesne should be competitive for an Atlantic 10 title and an NIT berth.

All of this news making, all of this progress comes after all the negative things that happened to Duquesne last year. What a turnaround.

Mensah leads Duquesne in scoring. James is back to being the nation’s best shot-blocker. Baldonado sits on the bench with his teammates. Mensah and James played key roles in Duquesne’s showdown against No. 12-ranked Pitt last night, a game that was an easy blowout for the Panthers in previous years.

The renewed Dukes have the potential to produce one of the best stories in sports this season, and what an uplifting and motivating experience that will be for all of us.

Let’s get to the rapid fire:

– Like Dan Marino and Tony Dorsett, LeSean McCoy will be discussed by future Pitt News sports writers. The kid has skills. The Patriots, lose a game this season or not, are the best NFL team ever.

– Speaking of which, Patriots and Steelers on Sunday, Roc? Should be a good one. Miguel Cabrera was a nice pickup for the Tigers, but Dontrelle Willis posted a 10-15 record with 5.17 earned-run average in the National League. Roc, do you really think Willis can get American League hitters out?

– I hate fantasy football.

Editor’s note: Me too, buddy.

– Former senator George Mitchell will release the names of those involved in his steroids probe of the Major Leagues before Christmas. Sounds like some people are going to have a tough winter, Roc.

– TRIVIA: I’ll give you a hearty pat on the back, Roc, if you can tell me Pitt’s largest margin of victory in the Petersen Events Center?

– I like Darren McFadden as my Heisman Trophy winner. He is the best player in the country.

– You’re right, Samari Rolle, you aren’t a boy. You are a man playing a game for a lot of money.

– Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo is dating Jessica Simpson. Maybe Simpson can distract the Patriots coaches when they videotape the Cowboys before the Super Bowl. Nah, even that won’t help a team beat the Patriots.

– Pitt’s win over West Virginia provided the most eerie walk to the car I’ve ever had. After leaving the press box in Morgantown, there was nary a conversation, just silence. I loved every second of it.

– Did you watch O.J. Mayo vs. Derrick Rose on Tuesday night? You should have. Just a thought: Honey Nut Cheerios are delicious.

– TRIVIA ANSWER: Pitt beat Buffalo by 47 points on the Friday of Thanksgiving break.

– It’s too cold. In related news, I’m furious.

– Is it Christmas vacation yet? Well, enjoy your break when it comes.

– Oh, and one more thing: Pitt is going to beat Duke on Dec. 20 in New York City. Mark my words.

Contact Jeff Greer at [email protected].