Downtown Partnership offers holiday goodies

By JACOB SPEARS

Now that the city has seen its first snowfall, it’s time to get in the spirit of the season… Now that the city has seen its first snowfall, it’s time to get in the spirit of the season and enjoy some holiday events around town.

Pittsburgh’s Downtown has more to offer after the fireworks of Light Up Night have dazzled and dissipated. This year, the Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership offers more holiday events with “Saturdays in the City.”

Saturdays in December, enjoy free horse-drawn carriage rides sponsored by the shops at One Oxford Center. Carriage rides depart from the rink at PPG Place between the hours of noon and 3 p.m. and from One Oxford Center between the hours of 4 and 8 p.m. Each couple will receive a complimentary rose and chocolate in addition to the complimentary ride.

Pittsburgh Filmmakers will also be showing holiday classics at its Harris Theatre, located on Liberty Avenue Downtown. On Dec. 22, “White Christmas” (1954) starring Bing Crosby will play at 2 p.m. and again at 4:15 p.m. Tickets are $6.

Pittsburgh Filmmakers is also presenting free screenings of “It’s a Wonderful Life” at The Regent on Braddock Avenue in Regent Square. The film runs Dec. 16, 18, 19 and 20.

In addition to these events, PPG Place’s “Wintergarden” is now a Pittsburgh tradition. The event’s main feature is its “Spirits of Giving from Around the World,” a collection of life-like recreations of Santa according to different traditions and folklore from around the world.

Each elaborately crafted Santa is accompanied by a painting representing the culture’s take on Christmas giving. “Wintergarden” also includes PPG Place’s Fifth Annual Gingerbread House and Train Display. More than 300 impressive gingerbread structures and an extensive decorative train set come together to form a miniature holiday town.

For more information about “Saturdays in the City” visit www.pittsburghdowntown.com.